I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 wt fly rod
Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 06:50PM

You may remember a question i posted a week or so ago about the guides for my newest 8wt. (btw, I went with 9x size 3 snakes from Snake brand as all the runners. May use one 4 right after the stripper, or 2 strippers) Well the blank came in today. Feels like a great blank, Rainshadow RX7. It's a two piece and I've gotten the spine on the top section which is the obviously the more flexible, but for the lower section, its a bit more stiff- which i like considering I'll be using it mostly for pike, tiger muskie, and big big bass (hypothetically), but due to the stiffness, I've found it hard to determine the spine. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it so no worries, but a question of curiosity is, on a blank like this, with a really stiff butt section that barely bends, is it really necessary to get as close to the spine as you normally do? Or is there a little less concern seeing as it doesn't flex much anyhow?

Thanks,
Cam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 wt fly rod
Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: May 09, 2013 06:52PM

Given that the spine has never been proven to do anything for or against you, why worry about it. I'd just sight down it and select the straightest axis and build on that. Works great for me.

Date: May 09, 2013 06:56PM

Thanks for the input Ken, and i may do that for the butt, but for the tip section i definitely like to find the spine. Another question though, I'm considering using a Pac Bay minima seat like for a spinning reel as my seat. Thinkk that would be fine? I don't know why i wanted to try it, experimentation I guess. If anyone has anything to weigh in on that I'd appreciate it.

Cam

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: May 09, 2013 07:00PM

All the seat has to do is hold the reel securely. If it will do that, no reason why it won't work just fine for you.

Date: May 09, 2013 07:01PM

Yeah, see that's what i thought, but I didn't know if there was anyhting i was missing

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 10:58PM

I have never really worried about it. If mine are on the spine it is purly by accident. The lower section is almost always strait to build it however it lands on the bench, aliign the upper sections to be as strait as possible, if the is a slight bent I always place it so it curves up and allow the wieght of the rod to "pull it back down"
You will be fine.

Eric

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 10, 2013 04:00AM

Like Many rod builders who have been building rods for nearly fifty years, I had a hard time eliminating spine as an important factor in how I build my rods. When I discovered this rod forum in 2002, I was introduced to well thought out arguments about spine. For example, some times a spine will spiral the length of the rod. In this case you can't place the spine in any position that will matter. I no longer worry about spine. Spine does exist, but the effect it has on performance is simply too small for you to notice.

Given the type of fish you are going to be fishing for, you should be sure that the reel seat will hold the fly reel very securely. Before using the minima seat, I would really test it to be sure the reel does not wobble in any manner. If you are using the minima seat for weight considerations, you might consider how little weight matters at the butt of the rod compared to the weight of the reel and the grip. Foe my own personal rods I use metal reel seats for heavier fly rods. However, Fuji, Batson, Pac Bay, and American Tackle all make graphite reel seats for fly rods that will handle the kind of fishing you are going to be doing. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 09:16AM

X10 on Michael's comment about the reel seat.
For a fly rod with the reel behind the grip - I wonder if using the Minima reel seat is the best choice for this rod.

I expect that it will work all right - I just wonder??

Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 12:48PM

Can't see why the minima wouldn't hold fine. But I'll test it and see. I just wanted to try something different

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster