I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rod painting help
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-97.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2013 08:09AM

I live in Nassau county on Long Island

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-97.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2013 08:19AM

Bob thanks so much! I forgot upstate people are nice too! Unfortunately I live really far away from you. Too bad I would much rather pay a pro to do this than tool around myself.

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 08:11PM

No problem!! Thought maybe you would be close enough i could help. Were not necessarily nice, it just comes across that way. ha ha

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 10:14PM

Well,

This will be a follow up from a earlier post on the question about if you could spray Perma Gloss with success and have the desired results a builder would be looking for in their finish. I have decided to share this with everyone here on rodbuilding.org. To all of you who are searching for a way to get a finish that would be in comparison to our mass producing counter parts, and for those who are seeking a way to do cosmetic quick and easy repair on the bench. We all have our way of doing things and shares are procedures here on this site. The procedure I am posting here is a outline on how to prep, mix, and apply a finish to a blank using a minimum amount of tools and product to achieve a finish or a cosmetic repair that would be comparable to (OEM). If there are any questions please feel free to ask. Please feel free to brainstorm on this as well, as it does open up other aspects of cosmetic repair ideas that I have already put to use and have been very successful at. With this alone you will have no need for sending that blank to a painter or trying to match a color or just laying down a coat of clear to clean up some cosmetic blemishes. Ordering those high end painted blanks isn't even a consideration for me at this time. That's what I believe I have changed in developing this process application method.

Spray Finish Application
for U-40 Perma Gloss

I will try to keep this simple and to the point. Like in all things we do there is always room for trial and error. Tool and supply’s you will need on hand. You will need an Air Brush preferably one you will use just for this application alone, one small air compressor, one that will deliver enough air pressure 1/5 hp. The Air brush has to have a jar reservoir. Keep in mind this is sticky stuff and you will have to clean the gun immediately after finishing your job. I will get into that later on in this write up.

You will need to get some Mineral spirits 100% (use the ACE brand or equivalent) it will say on the bottle: Thins oil based paints, varnishes, stains and Polyurethanes. (This is important because there are other brands and I have tried them and there to hot! In my experience with mixing paints you have to find the correct base to thin for the job and this was what I came up with. If it’s too hot it will change the pot life and flash times to erratic results. This brand is stable in the gun and on the blank)
Perma Gloss is your next item, I purchase it in the 4oz bottles and stick them in the fridge as soon as I get them (you all know the pot life on this stuff) keep a lid on it. Just before mixing take your bottle out and bring it to room temp. (Put a lamp on it to help it out) never remove lid until you’re ready to pour and mix.

Now that you have these items and you feel confident about you’re Tools I want to just go over a few things on prep before I go into the mixing application. Prep is about 90% of what your finish will look like, spraying it on is the easy part. Like an automotive painter they are meticulous about dust and contaminants’ make sure your prep work is spot on. I use alcohol 90% to degrease my blanks and I get it wet and I wipe till I am satisfied. I am wearing surgical gloves as well through this procedure. Of course you did scuff this blank prior to degreasing, I use scotchbrite green for this and with light pressure by hand scuff the entire blank (if you are getting a load of black your scuffing to hard) lightly scuff with very little black on your scotch pad. I think you all get the picture here now.

You’re blank is prepped and now you’re going to need to make sure your contaminant free with your jars, Air-Brush and the area your shooting in. Fill jar with some alcohol and shoot some through and check to make sure your brush is working properly adjust as needed to get the gun working properly. Make sure your jars are clean for mixing. I have prep wipes ready for this and for accidents.
Now for mixing, I use the little plastic cups we all bye at our convenient rod building supply outlets. They work well for what we are doing here and you will not be mixing very much. In fact one Jar will do a full blank 7’. I use the little plastic sticks to stir the mix. Have several on hand as to not contaminate your mix.
Pour your PG first it should be to room temp by now and ready 20mL into the cup. This is enough to fill the jar about ¾ of the way into your Airbrush jar (don’t over fill the jar) this will result in spraying malfunction.
Now add your Mineral Spirits to your PG, I use a pipit for this and have some already poured into a plastic cup. You should use 0.3mL to 20ML of PG this will give it the consistency to shoot it through you Airbrush. Mix it in with the PG for good 2 min and make sure you see no separation between your mixes. Once you have mixed it and your sure it’s together your ready to pour it into the jar. Now depending on humidity and temperature this might vary but not too much if you feel you need more, test it through your Airbrush and see if you’re getting good atomization from the tip. If not add 0.1mL of Mineral Spirits to get the correct viscosity. You should be good with what I have come up with in normal conditions.

You’re ready to shoot! You will have a 1.45 hour pot life on what is in the jar (spray time) It will take you about 25min to shoot the entire blank and possibly empty the jar. Flash time between coats is 15 min not very long. So if you’re going to do a second coat, be ready to mix another batch which is very simple to do!

Clean up is not very hard I don’t use acetone unless I got very lazy and didn't run some alcohol through the Airbrush. I use alcohol to clean the gun and I do take it apart to clean after a shoot. The price we pay for using the sticky stuff. Like anything we do practice safe handling of those chemicals we use. If there is any other questions or problems you run into please feel free to let me know I will try to give you my best knowledge on it!
Now this is new for updating my procedure. The pigments I have tested and used for over a year now are Mudhole CRB Marbling pigment kit! With this you can produce just about any color you want for a blank! This you will mix into the plastic cup as you’re making up you mix for painting, just add enough to make the color desired. (Warning) The less you use the more Opaque your color will be on the blank. It become more transparent. So You have to know something about colors here folks its not just mix it and shoot it. Think about the color of the blank your shooting or even if its just straight graphite

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2013 06:22PM

You got to be Serious ???

Alcohol will not cut any hard paint - At All _ When i painted cars the Prime gun was never Emptied It got cleaned with Lacquer Thinner if it got clogged The the prime was checked if it got thick it was thinned out again and mixed up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 10:08AM

Bill,

I use 90 percent Alcohol to clean my air brush and my jars. its hot enough to cut the paint I am using. I could do a demo movie clip to show the cleaning process to make the point. Remember I am using PG not Automotive paint ! Pour some in a jar and spray some Alcohol 90% in it and see what happens ! then get back to me !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster