I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TM? and guide recommendations please
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 11:11PM

Hey its been a while that i have time to log in here and do some more rod building!

i have 2 questions if you all dont mind :D

first i have some ThreadMaster lite finish 8oz kit but i havent used it in a while and the resin is still very very clear like when i bought it but the hardener is like a dark amber color. will that dark amber hardener make it look like that and cloudy? im using it on a graphite color blank with dark blue thread and i want it to look awesome...should i try it or dump it for some new? if new can i just buy the hardener alone since the resin looks good or does it just come in kits?

(i tried the site on the bottle but the site seems to not be there any longer)

second question

I'm building a rod for the saltwater flats and im using a rainshadow hs9000 (7'6 8-17lb ~1/2oz) spinning rod and i would like to keep it as light as possible...i have cork rear grip and foregrip and a basic reel seat so far so if you all could give me some ideas on what guides would work well for me to keep it pretty light weight and i would like to try to keep the set under $80 if possible

also ill be using a shimano sedona 4000 reel with it...if you think this reel is too big im open to suggestions on a different size...will be catching redfish, snook, sea trout, jacks and that type of fish and also using powerpro braided line

any and all is greatly appreciated thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TM? and guide recommendations please
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 11:46PM

Hello Jon.

All Epoxy ambers eventually and you are looking through 2" of it, when you put it on your rod the thickness will only be a few mils thick and you wont notice the amber, it will be fine I've been using some epoxy that is at least 8 years old and amber in the bottle but clear on the rod.

Try the MicroWave guides by American Tackle, a lot of folks on the left sell them.

Tight Wraps & Good Luck!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:06AM

ah thats great about the finish thanks very much :D

and wow those microwave guides look crazy haha and thats what im into! i have never seen anything like that before

as for the guides close to the top i usually use 8lb diameter powerpro with a 20lb mono/flouro leader line to line with those guides be able to pass a small line to line knot easily? sorry forgot to say a #5 guide

and should i go with the nanolite ring or the duralite ring?

also thanks so much for pointing that guide system out it looks greatttttt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 12:31AM by jon edwards.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: April 24, 2013 10:38AM

Jon, I'd say the lightest guide with the biggest opening would be the Minima's. The price is right and many report good luck with braid and salt water. REC recoils would be another to consider but they cost a lot more. I often use alconites (BYAG and BLAG) on such rods. They aren't the lighest nor cheapest but offer a decent mix of price and quality.

I use a 2500 reel. I found a braided line that is sold as 5# test but actually breaks near 17 pounds. My reel can just fit the entire 300 meter spool on it. So yes I think you can get by with a smaller reel provided you do some reasearch on the line you will use. As far as guide sizes it would all depend on how long of a leader you need and if the knots can be kept outside the guides. I have #4 blag's on my sj9000 and they are tiny. FWIW I can cast a 5# braid to 6# mono double uni knot through them just fine.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2013 03:28PM

Jon,
I agree about the reel size as a 2500 size with 10 lb. braid is still going to hold over 200 yds. I pretty much only use 10 lb. power pro and use up to 17 lb. fluoro leader with no issues passing the knot down to a size #2 micro.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: April 24, 2013 03:32PM

thanks russell ill look at those too :D and i see you are in hollywood im in palm beach

and i have decided to go with a 2500...i thought i might need more line but if i spools me ill just run after the fish haha

sorry todd i think i was responding while you were...i think thats what ill do use a lighter braid mostly ill be catching fish under 10lbs anyway but i do get the occasional 15+lb jack or tarpon but should still be fine since ill be in open water

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 03:37PM by jon edwards.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2013 05:39PM

2500 reel and nanolite for the braid

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster