I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guides on fly rods?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.cncdnh.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 06:25PM

Over the past couple of years, I've seen many references on this board about using micro guides on fly rods. I would like to give them a try. Do micro guides use ceramic rings, and if so would it make them slightly heavier than single foot guides and more suseptible to the ceramic rings cracking? What are the pros & cons of using micro guides over traditional snake and single foot guides. It seems micros have feet that are easier to secure to a blank than single foot guides. If I use micro guides for the running guides, what looks and functions best for stripping guides? I desire a clean/minimalist look that will optimize blank performance.

What would you recommend (brand & sizes) of micro guides to use on the following fly rods:

2 and 3 weight rods, 6 to 8 feet long

4 and 5 weight rods, 6 to 8 feet long

6 and 7even weight rods, 6.5 to 8 feet long

Thanks for your help in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guides on fly rods?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2013 06:49PM

I would advise using the correct sized guides which will be the smallest and lightest that will easily pass your line and connections while holding up to the task required.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 07:01PM

Snake guides of the appropriate size work really really well for fly rods.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 23, 2013 08:43PM

I've used size three rods over 8ft

Date: April 23, 2013 08:46PM

Sorry, the site wasn't responding so I tried a few times. Did not know a reply was being sent

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 09:45AM

Micro guides may give you the look that you like but are unlikely to improve the rod's performance. A single foot "snake" guide will probably weigh less than a micro guide and will provide less wind resistance, although the difference in either measurement will be infinitesimal. If a micro guide is small enough to impede the passage of a leader nail knot the performance of the finished fly rod will be greatly reduced. With fly rods at least the use of micro guides is about show, not performance.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 10:04AM

I agree with Phil. I put SF guides with inserts on several of my heavier rods and while they may provide a small increase in distance when shooting line, you pay a penalty in weight. I find that the line hangs up on single foot guides more often than double foot snakes. Since I build rods for customers, any rod that I've demo'd with SF guides and inserts really turns off potential customers.

With respect to your specific question, the guide must be large enough to pass the fly line and connection knots. I found that the smallest guide I could use comfortably with mid-weight rods is a #6. With this in mind, micros would not have sufficient size to allow clean passage of line and knots so would not be a good choice in my opinion. I've gone back to using snakes on most of my rods and some single foot snakes for small rods that emphasize weight reduction.

I hope this helps.

Terry

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 10:28AM

About seven years ago I built a 9wt. rod on a Gatti blank, using small, single foot ceramic guides ("Small" since the "micro" term was not in vogue then). The rod launched a fly line beautifully, but unfortunately I did not consider the diameter of a nail knot or the diameter of a coaxial braided loop, either of which had to be carefully manipulated through the guide train. I wound up cutting the "small" guides off and replacing them with REC NiTi snake guides. I could not observe any difference in casting performance.
I didn't enjoy removing and replacing the guides. I advise builders to actually and carefully check for problems with easy clearance of line connections.

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 06:40PM

I've put size 4 Minima 4's on a 5 weight and they are too small to easily rig the rod by doubling over the fly line and pulling through. (Nail knot leader connection). They fish well but the knot is a bit of a pain sometimes. Next rod I will not use smaller than size 5 Minima 4's, or go back to single foot snakes. Anything heavier than a 6 wt will be double foot snakes. Make sure to test how well your knots pass before building!!

TJB

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 11:42PM

Agree with Terry, Phil and Thomas.
Can't see the point. Sometimes you can't improve on REC Recoil s/f or d/f guides for the runners. Use ceramics for the stripper and second.
Herb

Posted by: Dan Herd (---.static.snlo.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2013 11:10PM

I would be careful about putting micro guides on larger rods (8 weight or higher). In particular if you are going to fish big saltwater fish. On my 12 weight rod I use 20, 16, 12, ceramic stripping guides then 6 to the tip with a very large tip top. Any sort of clearance problem in your lines or knots on big fast running fish can result in guides literally being blown off your rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster