I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blanks for Salmon(mooching)
Posted by: Dan Lotz (66.162.128.---)
Date: April 19, 2013 02:36PM

I have visited this forum in the past and found it to be very informative, but this is my first post.
Anyway, I am a new member and am hoping for some advice on a blank for salmon fishing in Puget Sound. I have built several fly rods in the past, but this would my first salmon rod.
I'm building it for a friend who will be giving it to her husband as a gift. She says he primarily mooches for salmon and that she does not mind paying for "quality components". I'm thinking about a blank in the 9' to 10' range.
I've been in touch with Lamiglas and they have made some recommendations, but I'd really appreciate any input from this forum.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blanks for Salmon(mooching)
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 03:06PM

You won't go wrong with a Lamiglas blank, I have built hundreds of rods on their blanks and never had a dissatisfied customer.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 05:22PM

X10 on Randolph's comments.
Lamiglas basically made "their bones" servicing the Salmon fishing rod industry. They are probably the best supplier of Salmon fishing rod blanks around.

Listen to their advice and use the blank that they recommend.

Be safe
REW

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 06:56PM

Indeed, Lamiglas would be a good choice. In the length you are considering, the XSH 120 2MH would be a nice fit. 10-20lb line rating and 10' long, makes a good mooching blank unless you are using very heavy leads.

Another option is a Batson ISA1266F, or ISA 1265F, or for a little less $$, BP1265F, or BP1266F. The BP's can double for downrigger rods as well.

Terry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 08:50PM

X2 on the Batson blanks, I use the ISA 1266F and the BF 1266F and lean a bit toward the BF series lately. A few years ago Salmon and Steelhead Journal tested a bunch of rods for mooching and the G Loomis, Northfork Composites, and the FethaStix rod built on the BF 1266 blank were the highest rated of the bunch. No surprise to me, the Loomis rods have been the benchmark for many for forever it seems, but surprisingly the Batson was rated so close to the others I was surprised, a virtual dead heat between the top three. Now the FethaStix has changed hands they now use Northfork Composites blanks it appears for everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 08:52PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tyler Celli (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 09:11AM

I built a mhx dr1266, it feels pretty good but I haven't fished it yet.

Posted by: Dan Lotz (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 11:27AM

Thank you everyone! Excellent input.
If you don't mind, one more question. I plan to get most of the other components at the shop near to Lamiglas and they offer a wide range of line guides, some of which are quite pricey. Is it worth the extra $$ to buy the very top of the line, (tungsten I think) guides for saltwater use?
They also offer intermediate-priced guides that would also work for saltwater.
Thanks again everybody!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 06:00PM

Hello Dan.

It's Titanium, and for salt if you don't wash REALLY well EVERY trip the Titanium guides are worth it, if you do wash that well, stainless will do so-so too good.

I use Titanium on 90% of my salt builds(some wont pay for it) but 40% of those come back in 1-2 years (the other 60% got SS and it took 4-6 years) wanting me (on my dime) to replace the guides because they are starting to corrode and so I just reminded them that I warned them about how well they needed to wash, even with titanium you still need to wash if for no other reason than for the rings.

Tight Wraps & Singing Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 07:15PM

Anglers Workshop is right there by Lamiglas, talk with Dave Lyons of AW,, he wont steer you wrong.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 09:10PM

I have always used Fuji Hardaloy or SIC double foot guides on my Salmon Rods, and a thorough fresh water flush has kept them in fine shape for around 35 years. Anglers Workshop will give you the straight skinny on which guides would be best for you.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 21, 2013 01:09AM

Batson's Alps guides built on 316 stainless is a bit more corrosion resistant than some guides, without the big jump in price.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2013 12:04PM

The AMTAK NIRLC guides are a pretty good value for a titanium frame guide. However, unless I'm building a rod that sees salt 100% of the time, I agree with the Alps recommendation. Most of the gear rods I build see salt only part of the year and the AMTAK guides are still a premium over the Alps 316 stainless, just less so than the Fuji equivalents. I explain this to my customers and give them the option and the cost ups for titanium guides.

Terry

Posted by: Dan Lotz (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2013 01:28PM

Wow-you guys rock!
Great information. This has been a huge help. I will stop by Angler's Workshop tomorrow and talk with them.
Thanks again.

Dan Lotz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster