I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Picking the right Blank - Help Please
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 17, 2013 10:23AM

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so hello to all.

I am about to build a casting rod. I am thinking about using a HMX MB843-W-MHX blank. This is a 7' fast, medium/heavy blank made for spinner baits, pitching and pig/jig. This is what they call a Mag Taper. I am also considering using a Blend SBB12-BLEND. This is a xfast Medium blank. Made for Sinner Baits, Popping, Live Bait and Jerk Baits.

Most of my fishing is Bass and Pike. Bass in the 3-6lbs and Pike up to 12lbs. I mostly cast spinner baits and lipped baits. I guess you could say most of my fishing is cast and retrieving!

Any advice on the blank choice would be great.

Also thinking of using micro guides? I have been reading a lot online about them. They seem to be getting a lot of traction now. Do you have to place the guides in a spiral pattern if you do use them?

Again thank you for your time! I am looking forward to learning form this website!

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Picking the right Blank - Help Please
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2013 10:43AM

I would go with just about any MHF. I fish mostly Bass and Northern. I use 6'6" mh to 7' mh

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 11:06AM

MH, as Forrest said, and you can put the micros on anyway you like.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.196.---)
Date: April 17, 2013 11:09AM

The descriptions of your suggested blanks make sense to me, although I would suggest a call to an expert at Mudhole to discuss the MHX blanks. I've only built one and its description was, in my opinion, off significantly from its true action. It was faster and heavier power-I should have known from the weight, but didn't pick up on it. It was very nice, just somewhat off from what I thought I was getting. The main issue with a casting rod is to have it load properly during the cast with the weight of the lures you'll be casting, so pay attention to that aspect of the blank description. 1/2 oz spinner baits weigh more than 1/2 oz.

If you plan on having knots pass through the guides I think you should go bigger than micros. If not, then they should be fine as long as you don't have a lot of trash in the water that could clog them. I've not had any trouble with that.

I can see no logic for spiral wrapping micros, but I bet I'll get a lot of people who don't agree. Micros are so close to the blank that there will be negligible torque induced when the rod is loaded. Spiral may allow you to use one or two fewer micros, depending on your philosophy on having the line on the blank.

Tell me where to fish bass that start at 3 # :-)

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2013 01:56PM

I actually like the MHX blanks. I have built rods with them and St croix cannot tell the difference.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Date: April 17, 2013 02:21PM

Hi All,

First off let me say thanks for taking the time to respond to my post!

Forrest sounds like you are fishing for the species. I fish mostly Georgian Bay north of Honey Harbour area. I will go with a MHF blank!

Michael thanks for the input on MHX blanks. I will call Mudhole and talk to a sales rep about the blank in am looking at. I like this one mostly because it is white. I want to build what I think is a unique looking rod. I have yet to come across a white one in my group of fishing buddies! I am gong to run Fluorocarbon so I don't need to worry about about knots so much. But your point is well taken for future rods. Yes I said future rods as I don't think this will be a one off build. Next one will be a spinning rod for jigging.

Think I will stick to the traditional placement of guides for my first build.

Thanks for the information guys!

PS Michael flippin dock's in South Bay!

Date: April 17, 2013 02:23PM

Oh and I will post a pictures of my first build when its done. I am building my wrapper this weekend. I still haven't figured out the dryer yet. I plan on using a BBQ motor I have. Have to figure out the jig set up.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 09:39PM

Chris,

I have built 4 or 5 of the Mudhole HMX MB843-W-MHX. I kept one of myself and my customers all love the blank. I find it a great blank for all around bass fishing. It's a great worm and jig rod. A nice sensitive tip with plenty of back bone to bury the hook and get 'em out of the trash. You would not be disappointed with the HMX MB843-W-MHX.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 18, 2013 07:19AM

Hi Don,

Thanks that's really good to know. I am definitely picking this blank. Did you happen to use micro guides? Did you use a split grip? I plan to use both. I will be putting together my parts list this weekend.

Date: April 18, 2013 07:19AM

Hi Don,

Thanks that's really good to know. I am definitely picking this blank. Did you happen to use micro guides? Did you use a split grip? I plan to use both. I will be putting together my parts list this weekend.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: April 18, 2013 08:42AM

Chris:

for the BBQ motor, go to your local hardware store and look for a nail set with a square end. Find one that fits into the recess in the BBQ motor. Using double sided tape, slide the nail set into the butt of the rod and turn :)) worked well for me for a number of rods.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: April 18, 2013 04:48PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a question, probably a dumb one but please keep in mind I am a newbie and only building for personal satisfaction, but what does Mag mean in a Mag Bass Blank? The more I read the more more I am starting to question my blank selection. I am starting to think this MB843-W-MHX is more like a flipping stick an not so good for casting? Am I just plan out WRONG?

Thanks

Date: April 18, 2013 04:49PM

Hey Chris thanks for the BBQ motor tip! Heading to Rona this weekend.

Date: April 18, 2013 05:19PM

Chris Tulk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Don,
>
> Thanks that's really good to know. I am definitely
> picking this blank. Did you happen to use micro
> guides? Did you use a split grip? I plan to use
> both. I will be putting together my parts list
> this weekend.

Chris,

Yes I used: 1 - Fuji CLNAG 8 Butt Guide, 1 Fuji KBAG KR Micro Belly Guide 4.5 mm, 3- KBAG KR Belly Guides, 3- KTAG 4 mm Tip Guides with a Fuji Tip: MCAT, 4.5 Ring-4.5 Tube., Split Grip: RST4T – EVA- 3/8” I.D, Fighting Butt: EVA 2.3” x 0.420” I.D. The guide spacing recommended by Mudhole worked great under static loading so I stayed with it.

It is one of my favorite rods. Enjoy building it and even more.... enjoy fishing it!

Don Campbell

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 18, 2013 05:19PM

Mag is short for magnum...as in the butt of the rod has magnum strength. Typically this is done to give you a soft enough tip to cast but a fast lock up. By lock up I mean where the blank begins to stop flexing easy.

I'm more of a salt water guy so I'll use a "live bait" blank as an example. Imagine the need to cast anything from a (live) small shad to a moderate sized bass. You want a soft enough tip to get the distance you need but also to prevent ripping the bait off the hook. Once the fish strikes, you want the quick lock up to get a secure hookset. Then when the fish is hooked you want the "mag" butt to turn him away from heavy cover.

The mag bass tapers are versitile and will do a lot of things well. If you wanted to have many rods, each dedicated to a single purpose,...like crankbait, drop shot, worm, jig, etc, go for it. Even in that case most would still have a 3 power mag bass blank in the quiver. Rest assured you are not going to be buying a flipping (only) blank.

It is clear you are doing your homework. That is a very wise first step. The blank you have picked represents good value and has the ability to fish a number of styles. I'd say it might be at its best fishing jigs and worms in waters with moderate to heavy cover. Buy it and see how it goes. Later you might decide a "spinner bait specific" blanks is in the cards. For fishing lures with treble hooks you might go with a popping blank or a fiberglass blank.

There isn't one right choice. Different waters, different fisherman, different preferences, different skill levels. Face it, every company employs a lot of high dollar people who's only job is to make us think we most own every model of every rod they offer.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 18, 2013 10:33PM

Hey Thanks for the reassurance Russ. I am sticking with it. You have a good point... If it turns out not to be exactly what I thought then I will just have to build another one! Part of my plan anyway.

Date: April 18, 2013 10:35PM

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for the parts list. Going to look them all up now and try and make sense of it! Being new it gets a bit overwhelming.

Thanks

Can't wait to post pics when it's done!

Date: April 19, 2013 09:28AM

Chris,

If you have any questions just shoot me an e-mail. Br glad to help you out anyway I can. Also, IMO, that was an excellent posting from Russell Brunt.

Don Campbell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster