I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trouble with Versitex
Posted by: Steven Milburn (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 01:31PM

Hi all~ came to seek some opinions on a matter of concern. I always get such great info from ya'll, and thought I'd ask around here. I needed (wanted) a logo covered on my latest blank. Even though it was just about 5 inches of coverage, I didn't want to use thread/ epoxy (I use Flexcoat Lite) as to the bulk that has. I ended up sending the blank section to Versitex USA to have it painted & finished, and just received it back in the mail.

My concern is that the finish is too soft, in my opinion. It was explained to me that the finish they would put over the paint would be flexable (sounds good) and durable, like a factory finish. They use Aftcote, by the way, which I've heard great things about on this forum.

Point being... I can press a dimple into the rod by pressing on it with my thumbnail. I've never encountered a finish like this before. I contacted them and was told that it was normal. "We do what we do." And that they produce yeh-many rods a year and that everybody loves the finish. He suggested I coat the rod in epoxy (the very thing I didn't want to do in the first place). I was told, in so many words, that there was nothing wrong with the finish being this pliable. I made it very clear that I was unhappy, but was told that I couldn't get a refund because I was the first customer to ever request their brown paint be used, so his cost was astronomical.

So my question is this: AM I NUTS? Gawd-awful customer service aside, do people really like a finish THIS soft? I can't see to this being acceptable, so please, help me out with any and all your opinions, thoughts, etc...

Thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble with Versitex
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2013 01:37PM

With many epoxies that is indeed normal. Depending on how long the epoxy has been on there, it may harden just a tad more over the next couple weeks.

Date: April 16, 2013 01:58PM

Thanks Tom. The possibility that it may get a bit harder over time gives me a little hope.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 02:03PM

That is how Aftcote sets up. IT's fine unless the rod is going to get bounced around and the finish scuffs

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 02:08PM

Hi,

I can understand your concern. Have no fear as Aftcote is an excellent finish. I have been using it since it came out and the reason I use it is for the very reason you are concerned with. I did a test when I first started using it. I left the excess finish in the mix cup to cure as I was interested in knowing how long it would take to fully cure. (My experience was that finishes that cured fast turned out to be very hard and seemed to crack more easily and sooner.) Every day I would push my thumb nail into the finish and it would leave it's mark. The next day the mark would be gone. I did this for a month with the same result every day. At the end of the month I could not leave my nail mark easily. So I stopped as the test proved what I was looking for, a finish that stayed more pliable and slow done the cracking at the guide feet. I still use Aftcote finish, am very happy with it and for the same reasons.

I hope this helps.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: April 16, 2013 02:47PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I highly value your opinions.
Billy- I am building this rod as a backpacking-specific rod, so yeah, that's exactly my concern. Before I sent them my rod, I was told "factory" paint job, and when I brought this up, he started talking about shelacs, and said they don't do that.
Capt Neil- thanks for the input. I'll let the blank set for a while, and see if it firms up.
All in all, I still feel like I was misled as to what to expect, and am pretty bummed. I told him that we would not be doing business again in the future, and he said that was fine with him.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 03:03PM

Don't know why you did not just coat with the Flex Coat Lite
I use the UV flex coat and it drys nice after 5 - 6 hrs Overnight nice and hard This is there new stuff

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 16, 2013 03:13PM

Versitex has a large and loyal following. Sorry you couldn't get on well with them, but the majority of the folks here do.

Date: April 16, 2013 03:41PM

Bill- chalk it up to a lesson learned! I'll check out that new Flexcoat.

Date: April 16, 2013 03:58PM

But Tom

Why charge so much for a graphite tube
And then put a cheap finish on
There is another company i have herd of the same thing and charging an outrageous fee
i am not trying to be cheap - But a good prep and a good urethane finish over and ya can wrap the next day And alcohol will not affect it
Permagloss - LumiSeal Klass Kote and I am sure the Auto Clears And even the Spar Urethane

Look at the sponsors here batson for one And there finishes you can beat the heck out of -- And wash with alcohol and they are as good as new
I see no reason for it Does not make sense to me ---

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 04:00PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 04:11PM

Are you saying they finished a rod-repaint with guide coat epoxy?

Usually there is an outcry of blasphemy around here if anyone does that. Why the pass now?

Unless I'm reading it wrong...

Did they cover the entire rod or just the 5" area?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 04:14PM by Jay Lancaster.

Date: April 16, 2013 04:19PM

The original post said it was a "5 inch" section.

Date: April 16, 2013 04:21PM

I am a little confused also Jay ??? Why he did not just finish that 5" area himself ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 16, 2013 04:54PM

Yes, it is just about a 5" section that will show above the grip (just to cover an unwanted logo).. I didn't do it myself, because I was told they could put a hard, über thin clear coat over it. Thats not what i ended up with. Apparently this is the same method (epoxy over paint) they use when they paint entire blanks, also. In fact, I was told if I wanted the whole blank painted, it would be the same charge. (So much for 'astronomical supply costs'). Had I wanted a coat of epoxy over a paint job, then yes, I absolutely could have done that myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster