I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Change Handle
Posted by: Brad Seibel (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2013 10:53PM

I have a rod blank that has a hypalon handle. It also has a Fuji reel seat. I want to put a cork handle on it. Can I just cut the hypalon off? Also can I cut the new cork in half and epoxy it back together or should I cut the reel seat off and slid the cork down the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Change Handle
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2013 11:35PM

Brad,
Cut the rear grip off the rod and replace it with a cork grip, from the butt up.
Leave the reel seat along and if there is a fore grip, leave that alone as well.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2013 12:20AM

When I need to replace a front grip with cork, I've cut the front grip off. I measure the blank with calipers and pre-ream them to fit. Then I split them with a razor marking them so the halves go back together the way they came apart. I cover the blank with a layer of painter's tape and then reassemble the rings with a cable tie on each ring paying special attention that each rings flat mating surface is perfect. Set it aside to cure and set fully. Later I come back, remove the tape and reassemble the loose individual rings into a grip. You have to hand sand then to perfect the shape of the grip. Alternatively if it's a simple guide wrap on a two-piece rod, and I know the colors for a perfect match, I'll remove the guide(s) and install a new grip from the front and retie the guides. Either way, it's a lot of work.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 14, 2013 01:52AM

If you have the capability, you could also turn/sand, or have someone turn/sand, the hypalon down to the smallest cylinder(no taper) in size you can and than drill the cork to that size, slip over the old grip, replace the butt cap and no one's the wiser.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 14, 2013 10:25AM

Part I wonder about is the suitability of todays cork for any rod that came with a hypalon grip. Most anything that I have seen with a hypalon grip is going to spend some time in a rod holder eventually.

As to how to go about it....it depends on rather or not you want to do the grip in front of the the reel seat too. Also depends of how fast the taper of the rod is. If you want to do both grips and the reel seat....and the rod has taper like most salt water blanks..... you are probably better off building it up on a tube, either aluminum or carbon, and using several arbors to mount the tubing.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 14, 2013 01:33PM

Unsure where you live, but if you fish the salt, you will rue the day you went cork. Unless you seal it really well, and keep it clean, cork will go ratty, lose all the voids, and make the stick look like a 19.99 beater inside of two seasons.

To remove the eva, carve it off with a knife, being careful not to cut into the blank. You can do this up front as well, and leave the seat as is.
Unless the butt section has taken a set, after which you can replace the seat, and orient it in a manner to neutralize the set.

The difference in taper from the butt up to the seat can be minimal, but if it's severe, you'll need to either ream the top corks lots oversize to clear the butt, and be loose at the reel seat, (build up the blank with masking tape), or measure and ream up front, then split the cork in half, install on the blank, and hold the two halves together any of several ways. I use those "wrap-ties"... baby plastic handcuffs they use on terrorists or other bad guys.

Posted by: Brad Seibel (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2013 12:48PM

Thanks for all the information. Don' fish salt that often but something to consider.
Will post later with information as to what I did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster