I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

introduction and rod extension question
Posted by: Tyler Celli (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2013 07:35PM

Hey All,

First post and i must say the knowledge on this site is incredible! i havent found the need to ask any questions because just about anything your looking for can be found with the search feature. :)

I'm from the pacific northwest and have been a hardcore salmon/steelheader for over 15 years. ive been crafting my own steelhead jigs, spinners, and a plethora of other lures for most of those 15 years. i recently got into rodbuilding and i am hooked! i have played with some snakeskin, marbling, and have experimented a little with decorative butt wraps (not too pleased with them yet lol) . I have decided now to make a rod for my fishing partner for a very technique specific style of fishing. He is a sideplaning salmon fool and is very very good at it so i decided to build him a rod specifically for that. He runs the luhr jensen hot shot sideplaners with various sizes of kwikfish.

i decided on the pacbay 1563 blank because its 13' (he wanted a very long rod), he catches mostly coho, with a few kings and chums mixed in so i figured this rod would be a good fit. now its got my wheels turning. i would like to add an extention to it to get it close to 15'ish. i read the tutorial on doing extentions and am leaning twords the aluminum tube. i was going to build the handle on the aluminum tube which would end up being around 26" then i would subtract 4" (weight wont matter, this rod will be sitting in the holder until it goes off) for the blank fitting into the tube leaving me at about 14'10" total length. has anyone tried an extention this long on a rod like this? this is a special build for me as it will be for my best friend, i really dont want it to blow up in his face lol. also if i understand correctly the rod will technically become "faster" and gain a bit on the power/line rating side of things? any ideas on how much i would gain at the upper end of the line rating spectrum?

thanks for all your help, this site is great!

tyler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: introduction and rod extension question
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 13, 2013 08:48PM

Hi Tyler,
I turned a 5' 6" baitcaster blank into a 7' 6" high speed spin stick with an aluminium tube and it has held up well. It's got a butt cap, a fourteen inch rear grip, a six inch reel seat and a fourteen inch fore grip all built on an aluminium tube. A winding check covers the mismatch in front of the foregrip. You need to get a considerable over lap and have to be careful with the blank taper so you get snug fit over the entire over lap. I built my blank up with thread and did a lot of checking before I was happy. The blank is definitely a lot faster but I don't think it is any more powerful and it's used for the same line rating as the original blank.
However it's nothing like what your contemplating so I hope it helps a bit.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2013 09:50PM

Why just not buy a 15' blank? Unless you have already purchased the blank I would just get a 15 footer and save myself a lot of headache.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2013 11:37PM

Tyler,
If you want either a 13 foot or a 15 foot in the same rod, simply build the rod with a removable 2 foot extension.

There are rod building extension joints available. Just use one of those and build it so it will work either way.

I have built a couple and have also built a butt cap that will fit on either the main pole or on the extension.

It will look great.

Roger

Date: April 14, 2013 06:07PM

Roman Chamine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why just not buy a 15' blank? Unless you have
> already purchased the blank I would just get a 15
> footer and save myself a lot of headache.

I already bought the blank, this was an after thought.

Date: April 14, 2013 06:09PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tyler,
> If you want either a 13 foot or a 15 foot in the
> same rod, simply build the rod with a removable 2
> foot extension.
>
> There are rod building extension joints available.
> Just use one of those and build it so it will work
> either way.
>
> I have built a couple and have also built a butt
> cap that will fit on either the main pole or on
> the extension.
>
> It will look great.
>
> Roger

Can you explain this a little more or provide a link to where I can get these? I really like the sounds of this!
Thanks everyone!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2013 06:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster