I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

is it possible?(guide turn around in finished rod)
Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: April 12, 2013 03:00AM

i have 1 rod that i never used it again since i have the newer one
just put it in the corner laying to the wall
when i checked last night many of the guide in top section has turn few degree in every direction include the tip top
it's my 1st build take me almost 1 full month to carefully build and i'm very sure that guides are straight when i build it and when i used it to fish
it's very noticeable, so impossible that i didn't saw it that time

i also checked the epoxy to see if there is any cracked in it, that causing the wrap loose but everything is okay

PS:this is a baitcasting rod with all the guide are double foot and the tip top are MN frame
and i used size A thread and lite formula epoxy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2013 03:03AM by ernest sebastian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is it possible?(guide turn around in finished rod)
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: April 12, 2013 03:37AM

Ernest,
Can you turn any of these guides by hand now?
Mike B.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2013 07:02AM

is it two piece rod?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2013 07:41AM

How long has it been laying in the wall?

Date: April 12, 2013 08:12AM

Michael: with gentle force i cant turn it by hand, i dont know if i turn it with some power.i'm afraid the blank will fail if i used to much power

Steve: yes it's 2 pcs rod

Jay: around 3 months

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2013 08:26AM

Thread holds the guides on a rod The finish is on to protect the thread from the elements
Sounds like the thread is not tight enough
I would rewrap Check the guide feet for good prep and how they fit on the blank
better tension on the thread

It happens to the best of us

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2013 08:34AM

If you can turn the guides by hand, you've got a problem either with the wraps or the finish. If the rod blank itself is turning or twisting in the upper half and not returning to its original position, then you have a bad rod blank.

Date: April 12, 2013 08:36AM

Bill: yes bill the only solution is re wrap..it's very embarrassing if we have rod with zig zag guide placement LOL

Date: April 12, 2013 08:43AM

Tom: blank twisted or crooked is very reasonable cause that i can think for now
now i know laying rod in the wall are not right thing to do,

Date: April 12, 2013 08:50AM

When I lay rods on a wall I lay so the tip top Back Side is on the wall Not the ring And only that guide is touching the wall

Hay It is your first Mine are all reamers LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2013 11:23AM

Ernest,
I would guess the following:
I would guess that you did a final guide alignment before coating your rod. As you did the final alignment, you ended up with a slight twist in the blank. But, after the blank sat unused for a while, the twist relaxed out of the blank and the rod ended up having misaligned guides.

I have had this a couple of times. I found that each time that it had happened, I had tied on the guides very tightly. So, I ended up using a fair amount of force to do the final alignment before coating.

---
Another thing that can happen - and it has happened to me more than once.
You do a final guide alignment,, and then set the rod - with no finish in a rack.
Then, it comes time to do the thread coating, you grab the rod, put it on the rack for finishing and drying and as you do, happen to bump a couple of guides and knock them out of alignment. Then, you go ahead and coat and dry the guides without rechecking the guides.

This happened to me a couple of times when I was a bit rushed for time, and did not take the time to do a 100% final visual, just before doing the finish application. As a result, I have learned, and now, always do a 100% guide alignment recheck, just as I put the rod down on the finishing rack for finish application. Also, if I happen to feel a guide brush my hand during the finish application - I will stop the rod, pick it up and do another recheck, before putting the rod on the dryer. I have had a couple of instances, where - especially with a large stripper guide, I happen to bump the stripper during the finish application and knock it out of alignment. So, again, just before putting the rod on the dryer, after applying finish - triple check the guide alignment for a 3rd time to be sure that the guides have not been knocked out of alignment during the finish application.

Roger

Date: April 12, 2013 11:26AM

By the way, there were a couple of comments on this thread about leaning a rod against a wall. If at all possible - never, never lean a rod against a wall for storage. Bad things happen to really nice rods, by leaning them against a wall.

Either lay them flat on a shelf, on the floor, or a horizontal rod rack, or put them into a vertical rod rack, with the rod blank touching nothing. That way, if the rod blank touches nothing, the blank, guides etc. can not get disturbed.

Be safe
Roger

Date: April 12, 2013 01:28PM

very correct
For long time storage the PVC tubes hocked from the celling are good Out of the way

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2013 03:52PM

Whats the problem you got a custom one of a kind spiral wrap!

Date: April 12, 2013 03:59PM

Or - wobble wrap?

Date: April 13, 2013 08:09AM

Roger. you're 1st guess are correct i do final alignment just before i put finish coat
i remember how difficult to move the guide straight because it's all double footed and i remember all my wrap has fuzzy in it because i put so much tension on my wrapper
i can learn so much from this failure
thanks all :)

Date: April 13, 2013 06:07PM

Ernest,
That is the wonderful thing about each and every task that we do in your lives. We learn and remember from every good thing that happens to us; as well as remember what happened during those times when things weren't the way that we wanted them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 06:10PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster