I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Amine Blush
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 01:09PM

Quick questions.

Is this something that takes time to form on finish or are you seeing it right after mixing the two parts?

I got a humidity guage in the room and found my humidity was around 70 this week - we had some rain. Normally 50-55.

Will a dry box really help with the humidity that much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amine Blush
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 01:16PM

Humidity isn't a factor in epoxy setting up. So just don't concern yourself with it. Temperature is everything.

Amine blush will look like a whiteish waxy substance on the top of the cured epoxy. It can be washed off as needed.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 29, 2013 01:23PM

The epoxy is setting up fine. What I'm getting looks like grease on top of the epoxy and forms in my mixing cup right after mixing. Epoxy is crystal clear other than this greasy layer on top.

I put a heat bulb on a wrap I did recently and it looks like it worked in helping with the AB. So now wondering if I need a drying box since it seams like I cant get away from the humidity or whatever other factor is causing this nuisance.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 02:00PM

In your mind the humidity is playing tricks on your finish. No matter what you do this will probably stick in your head and make you uncomfortable. Get a dehumidifier to settle your head.

Date: March 29, 2013 02:38PM

Already bought one. Didnt help. :(

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2013 02:46PM

Amine blush requires more than just humidity - there is a combining amount of CO2 that must be present as well before it will happen. Generally, you'll see it in the mixing cup and on the wraps as soon as you apply the finish. It doesn't generally appear a few days later, no.

Date: March 29, 2013 03:07PM

Tom, with my house getting the ventilation it does I wonder if CO2 could reach levels high enough to be a factor. I guess it must be though.

Date: March 29, 2013 03:42PM

If the ventilation is good, then it's unlikely to capture and hold much CO2. But you should be able to look at the finish and tell if you've got amine blush. It's hazy, almost a greasy film on the surface of the finish. Putting the rod in the sunlight for a few days can take away most of it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 03:45PM

Correct me if I am wrong -- But would a heater dry the air When the temp buy me gets high with humidity I turn the air on In rainy times would a heater dry the air ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 29, 2013 04:00PM

After reading this site I am wondering if my mixing ball (metal mixing ball provided with power mixers) is not thoroughly mixing the finish 100% and excessive moisture is being allowed to enter the finish?

They may be talking about different finishes? I dont know much about the different finish types.

My finish is clear after mixing though so not sure.

[www.paintsquare.com]

Date: March 29, 2013 04:04PM

Tom - what do you think of this section?

'presence of low molecular weight amine in the curing agent/ hardener.(These amines are hygroscopic by nature and easily react with water in preference to epoxy and have high vapor pressure.) Normally, the amine type used in the product can be identified from the Material Safety data sheet."

I have read that the brand finsih I use has had issues with Amine Blush. Could this be a reason?

Date: March 29, 2013 04:48PM

You could try a different epoxy - I have no idea what you're using now. Or try finishing in a different room in the house to see if that makes any difference.

Rod builders commonly mix and apply finish on rainy days, in periods of high humidity, etc., and don't necessarily have problems with amine blush. As I said, it takes a certain combination of elements for it to happen. If those are present where you're finishing at, every single time, then you're going to have to change something.

Date: March 29, 2013 05:26PM

Thanks for the help. Appreciate the feedback guys!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 06:27PM

I have been mixing with syringes for years and I think many builders have done the same

I have never had any problems - In cool temps - August hot weather with high humidity

sounds like you have to mix in a different way

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 06:52PM

In 42 years of Rod Building here in the Seattle area where it rains at least 3 out of 4 days, I have never experienced this aminie blush. I don't even know what it would look like. Having used U-40 products almost exclusively for 35 years I have had no problems. I mix by hand with a SS spatula in a plastic measure cup. I haven't seen any reason for something special to mix my finish. You will be hard pressed to find a bubble in any of my finished rods. I finish at whatever the room temperature is and have never had a special drying box. I think technique and practice is the key to a good finish.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2013 07:33PM

Adam,

For whatever reason, the conditions in my basement seem conducive to blushing. I found that virtually every time I blew through a straw to pop bubbles, I'd add enough CO2 for the epoxy to blush. If you are using the straw to help with bubbles, this could be part of the culprit. I seem to get more consistent results sitting the bottles in a sink of luke warm (baby bath water temp) water for a few minutes before mixing. The finish starts with a lower viscosity, and releases bubbles a bit easier. If I still get bubbles, I use a little gentle heat to deal with them. If you're not using the straw technique, then this probably won't help much.

Joe

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2013 07:33PM

Adam,

For whatever reason, the conditions in my basement seem conducive to blushing. I found that virtually every time I blew through a straw to pop bubbles, I'd add enough CO2 for the epoxy to blush. If you are using the straw to help with bubbles, this could be part of the culprit. I seem to get more consistent results sitting the bottles in a sink of luke warm (baby bath water temp) water for a few minutes before mixing. The finish starts with a lower viscosity, and releases bubbles a bit easier. If I still get bubbles, I use a little gentle heat to deal with them. If you're not using the straw technique, then this probably won't help much.

Joe

Date: March 29, 2013 08:03PM

Practice can avoid amine blush? How so?

Joe,

Already took that out of the equation. No extra C02 from myself introduced into finish.

As I stated above, I can see the blush immediately after the finish has been mixed. Its there before application to the rod.

Which is why I wondered if the mixing ball I use on the power mixer is not truly mixing 100% of the two parts. Given the link I posted. BUT.... I'm not sure if that can be the case since the finish is crystal clear other than the blush. Wouldnt I still see hazing if the finish wasnt completely mixed? I mix for about 5-6 minutes on average under power.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 09:03PM

I'm not going to promise that I'm correct.....but I'm pretty sure "amine blush" only happens on cured epoxy....FWIW.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 29, 2013 09:04PM

If the finish wasn't well mixed, you'd have two problems - a cloudy mix and slight tackiness of the finish even after several days set.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster