I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide questions for UL spinning rod
Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 12:36PM

I'm building a spinning rod on the Batson SPG 780 blank (2-6 lbs, 1/16 - 3/16 oz) for fishing ultralight crankbaits and beetle spins for bass and panfish. I was first planning on using standard spinning guides but I've been looking at the Batson single foot fly guides and micro guides to keep weight down in the tip. Did some searching on previous posts and I have a few questions. Using a NGC layout, I would start with standard spinning guides until I get to the choke guide? How many more micros would do you typically have to use to get a good line path? I assume you figure this out with the static guide placement method. I'm going to use 4 lb fireline with a mono leader, is there a minimum size I should not go below? This is my first spinning rod, it's pretty new to me, and I'm using this one to work out some ideas for a nice St Croix UL blank I have. Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide questions for UL spinning rod
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:12PM

This is not a specific response because I feel others here are more qualified than me to offer advice on this particular build, so I will offer this for you to consider.

How you plan to transition from the 4lb fireline to your mono leader will influence the recommended minimum guide size of your runners. I envision you will need to balance the seamless passage of the splice against the increasing weight of your guide train from larger sizes.

Date: March 20, 2013 01:41PM

I'm going to use back to back uni knots to connect the leader and the mainline. Should be pretty small.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:44PM

Personally I like to use Netcrafts Flexlite guides on ultralite rods. They have enough hieght to ste up 27x and are very light and would accomodate the line combo yoiu wish to use.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:49PM

Also check out the PacBay Minimas very light and a lot of builders like them on fly rods Should do well on a light rod

Plus there is the Microwave set up

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 01:59PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:56PM

Abrahm,
I just built a similar setup.
I used the Pac Bay minimas SV. I went with guide sizes 20,16,10 and 4 - F guides to the tip. Worked very well for me. I could have used a match 16 for the first guide for height, but elected to go with the 20 SV instead.

Roger

Date: March 20, 2013 02:05PM

After reading all the stuff about the Microwave guides Maybe Rogers set up but with the size 20 butt Microwave guide

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: March 20, 2013 03:27PM

I use the pacific bay minamas on the spg rods I build. With line and leader you are using size 4 runners will be as big as you will need.For the price of the guides I would get a set starting with a 16 down to an eight and 8 or 10 of the size 4s. That is more runners than you will need but like I said for what they cost does not hurt to have extra.
Ricky

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: March 20, 2013 03:41PM

Ditto on the Pac Bay minima. Look at the minima 4's

Posted by: Abram Harrison (69.165.131.---)
Date: March 20, 2013 03:50PM

Ricky and Roger: You guys are using the guides with the minima rings? Are they ok to stand up to braided line? Thanks!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 04:07PM

KR CONCEPT would probably give you a size 12 or even 10 stripper and a very light set up. Likely be fully choked and using size 4 runners 12 to 14 inches past the stripper.

Date: March 20, 2013 04:38PM

Jim

Is that not a little fare apart ??
I get nervous at 10 inches apart on any guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 05:17PM

2 cents worth:
Minima 4's Match 16 and Match 10 then straight to Fly 4's should be all you ever need on a spg780.
Well unless you plan on using a 4000 or old 304 or something else weird on it as a reel.
I would use a 1000 or 750 reel with braid and be happy with that M16/M10/f4's.
Power Pro Slick might give you less grief than fireline but your call.
Even in salt water I have never seen any wear from braid and Minima 4's and i have used them since the month they were released to public to build with.
I am a great advocate for Microwaves and they have their place and this is NOT it.
The regular MW's are for 1500 thru 3000 reels. The big Swampland/castaway ones are good choices from 3000 to maybe a 6000 reels.

Date: March 20, 2013 06:02PM

I plan on using a 2000 size reel, but that would mean juststarting with something higher than a 16 I think. Just the reel I have handy.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 06:49PM

If budget matters, then definitely recommend the MInimas. Can't beat them for the price to performance ratio. Very impresssed. And know that the size 16 minima has same inner diameter as a regular size 20 guides of more traditional material such as oxides or SICs. Ultralights are all I build and hope the comments help you.

Mo

Date: March 20, 2013 07:07PM

the American Tackle MW guide is I believe a size 20 ring

Check with Swampland

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 20, 2013 07:31PM

Getting a price from my guy on the minimas, thanks for all the answers, I appreciate the advice. :)

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 02:07AM

Minima 4 match frame 16/8/5 then Fly frame 3 thrue tip.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 07:57AM

Another option, using ceramic ring guides.
Batson Alps XBYTLG12, 08, BVSLG07 transition guide down to BMKLG05 low frame to the end.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 10:44AM

On lighter builds like that I use BYAG 16, 8, then BLAG 6 followed by 4-5 BLAG 4's to the tip. A size 4 single foot will easily pass your knot. I have been using a 10lb braid with a 6lb mono leader and have no issues.

jeremy

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster