I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What can I use for thread color sealer
Posted by: Ray Moritz (199.107.1.---)
Date: March 16, 2013 09:20AM

Hi this is my first post and i was wondering what i could use to hold the color of my wraps. I am trying to use a white thread that says it does not need color protectant, but on my test wraps when i applied the flex-coat the threds turned clear, I would really like to start making some head way on my pole and don't really want to wait for thread color protectant to be ordered. I heard that elmers white glue and testors model glue will work for locking the color , does anyone have any ideas of what maybe i could pick up like at menards or a craft store that would work, Thanks for any help. Also i am building on a grahite and a e-glass blanks, i have 2 going at the same time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What can I use for thread color sealer
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 09:26AM

These are the items I have seen on the board but have not tested myself:
Elmers white glue thinned
Acrylic floor wax.

You should do search on color preservers in the forum and it should bring up others. Test anything you try on a scrap first before you implement though. It might be easier to bite the bullet and just get some CP or the proper NCP thread shipped next day to you.

Terry

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 09:26AM

There are some that say you can use Elmer's, but I strongly recommend ordering some actual cp. it is cheap and the correct product.

Date: March 16, 2013 09:49AM

What about chromaseal i think i can get it at a local hooby shop, any experience with this?

Date: March 16, 2013 09:53AM

All the wrapping thread i purchased where supposed to be NCP thread, the white is the only thing i am having any trouble with. It just turns clear when the finish is applied, If i have to order what would be a good brand of thread, and CP i don't know if i can post what brands i am using but from what i hear they are reputable.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 10:58AM

Chromaseal works great!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 12:57PM

Is it really turning clear, or just dark? If you are putting it on a dark blank even NCP darkens white thread. To get a true bright white, many apply white paint under the wrap.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.sub-70-199-107.myvzw.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 02:00PM

I use ncp white with water based cp and or stays bright white even on the darkest blanks. If you use a solvent based cp out tends to make everything darker.

Date: March 16, 2013 02:31PM

It is turning translucent, clear -see through, look like nothing under the flexcoat, i tried it on a dowel and an old blank that i was experimenting with. once the epoxy dries you can't even tell there is thread under it

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 03:24PM

Ray, I don't know of any of the color preservers offered by the sponsors on the left that are not reputable and all will work. I have used Flex Coat, Chromaseal, U40 Colorlock, and Cason's solvent based Crystal Clear. There is also a Cason's water based CP as well. All of these work quite well with color retention with the Cason's darkening the thread the most (although still within a satisfactory level). I like Chromaseal the best for color retention with U40 Colorlock a close second.

I taught a rod building course in 1980 and I used Gudebrod's NCP thread for my demonstration rod. I used white, gold (non-metallic), and blue. All of these threads remained absolutely opaque with no darkening when the finish was added. If your white thread is becoming transparent (clear) when you added finish, I believe you do not have NCP thread. Did you make a test wrap with each color thread you were planning on using and then test them directly with your finish? I also think you should look carefully at your thread. True NCP thread tends to look like flat wall paint and will appear looking like paint when you add the finish. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 05:57PM

NCP white should not go transparent even if not coated with CP Regular nylon will ???

Where did you get it
I am sure NOT from any sponcers on the left ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 06:01PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 16, 2013 06:06PM

Hi Ray,
I've used white madeira on a black blank with three coats of chromaseal and it turned out fine. Madeira is an embroidery thread which contains silicon and you have to use cp. For me chromaseal has excellent colour retention, spool colours with madeira and some mettler thread. Also you have to ensure any light colours are packed really well on dark blanks or the black will bleed through. The blank painting idea has helped others also. Have a look in the Photo section at some of the weaves done by Steve Mcleod when he uses white, you can't even see the thread lines and there is no paint under them.
Also check the post about 15 down "what color preserver to use"

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 06:18PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 06:48PM

Ray

In a pinch Future Floor Wax (acrylic) will do. You may see the thread darken a shade, but it will work!

Rog

Posted by: Ray Moritz (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 08:42PM

Thanks to every one, i just went ahead and ordered flexcoat cp and some u40 i will try both and see which works the best. I will definatley test before i apply to my wraps, i don't want to have to take everything back off once its on. now to decide what color scheme it want to go with. all my other threads did darken up a bit when i epoxyed them but they were acceptable, but i would like the white to stay white, also i would like the yellow on my wifes pole to staybright. again thanks, when i get one of them done i will post some pics, i can already see this becoming habit forming, i have 2 4 foot dowel rods with a lot of wraps on each one, all the wraps are flexcoated so i know what they will look like when they are on the rod.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 17, 2013 02:11AM

Hi Ray,
Be a bit careful with the wooden dowels as it can absorb the cp and the finish on the test wraps and give you a false indication of what will actually happened on a blank. If you don't have any old blanks to use you can try some plastic electrical conduit or black small diameter water pipe as it won't absorb the cp or finish and should give you a better indication of what will happen. A coat of black gloss will probably prevent the dowels from absorbing anything.
I don't get any darkening at all with chromaseal.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 07:57AM

Ray - only "tips" I have for you is to do a first flood coat (soak the threads really well) and allow it to dry COMPLETELY before a second or third coat. This is a mistake I've seen many times. If the CP isn't absolutely dry the thread will get blotchy. The second is to wrap the threads tightly to each other - no gaps before the CP

Date: March 17, 2013 09:31AM

I did try it on a scrap black blank and it still went clear, i am waiting for the CP to come in hopefully this will sove the problem. The future floor wax, is this the same as CP?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 09:11AM

Ray, oyu have nylon thread. NCP doesn't do that. MAybe the spool is mislabbelled, or they shipped the wrong spool. I'm not familiar with every brand, but it certainly sounds like Nylon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 09:12AM

I have used Elmers Wood Glue ( THINNED ) with water it does work Just put several coats on as you see it soak into the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ray Moritz (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 11:08PM

thanks for the responses guys i got the flex coat cp an up 40 in yesterday and tried both, both work great everything stayed true and is holding grreat, now to try my hand at expoxeying the threads if this comes out good i will be happy. i believe both say to leave 24 hrs before sealng with epoxey so i will try tomarrow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster