I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Underwater
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 10:27PM

I was given a couple of rods that have been underwater for at least six months and asked if I could repair them. These are G Loomis rods and because of that my friend would like me to see what I can do for him.

Rebuilding to me isn't the problem as I know I can do that with no problem. My question is.....does being underwater ruin the blank or not ? There is no sense in fixing if the blank is going to fail.

I have posted a photo of the rod in my photos and tried to upload two more but not having any luck in doing that. There are even barnacles on the blank !

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Underwater
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 11:05PM

My first guess is that the blank themselves should be ok. Lots of FRP type material spends their entire lives underwater (think boat hulls). Maybe someone more experienced than I can tell you for sure.

How/why were they underwater? Curious.

Date: March 11, 2013 11:11PM

He accidentally knocked them overboard and tried for hours to retrieve to no avail.. Then six months later while fishing the same area his partner hooked them both with a crankbait by chance, and got them to the boat !

Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 11:19PM

Tom,
Rebuild as needed. The blanks should be a non issue.

Date: March 11, 2013 11:55PM

Thanks Roger. That's what I told him but I was checking with you guys with a lot more experience to be sure. Much appreciated.

Tom

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 12:13AM

Flex test the rods under their rated maximum suggested load and a little more, if they don't break, they will be OK.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2013 09:52AM

I'm not aware that those rods would have any sort of maximum suggested load rating. However, a good flex would be in order not so much to see if the water has damaged them (it hasn't) but to make sure they are in otherwise good shape. There could be other damage that was done during their lifetime that would make restoration a waste of time. Just make sure they're worth the time and trouble.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 10:39AM

Tom,
I will state the obvious. Be sure that you have drilled out the butt cap and made sure that all water has been drained out of the blank.

I have done a couple of these long underwater rebuilds as well. Just another thing, be sure to use a rod or rifle cleaning brush to be sure that the inside of the blank is clean. It is surprising how little creatures can start growing on the inside of the blank.
Perhaps you will be lucky and have had the blank remain 100% sealed - but that is not always the case.

Good luck on the rebuild.

Roger

Date: March 12, 2013 05:16PM

Great suggestions on flexing the blank. Once I get the old reel off I am going to put one of mine on it , even if I have to tape it in place and do the flex before I remove the guides.

Roger, I am going to strip the cork and butt cap off and see what's in there. I like your idea on the rife cleaning brush and will give that a go.

I have nine rods to build in front of this project but I will try to get a few pics in my library if the blanks hold up.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Tom

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (206.74.253.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 05:44PM

After using the rifle cleaning brush be sure to thoroughly clean everything, including your hands. Lots of oil around those things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster