I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy
Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 04:20PM

Hi all

Need some help I put my 1st coat of epoxy on and it looks a bit wavy. What is the best thing I can do to repair the problem ?? I tried doing a search but did not find anything. HELP!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy
Posted by: Jared Retter (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 05:11PM

go down about 10-12 posts and read that thread...

Date: March 10, 2013 05:11PM

Date: March 10, 2013 05:44PM

I have read both the info below and the info in the library but they do not tell me how to fix the problem. If I put on a second coat of epoxy will this fix the problem or just follow the wavys that are already there??

Date: March 10, 2013 05:53PM

Frank, I misread your question. I could be wrong and someone else will probably give some advice here but a second coat should help if applied properly... I have had luck with that in the past... Make sure it is applied quickly and let it level out....

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2013 06:04PM

No, it won't fix your problem. You'll need to block sand what you have now until it's flat, then properly apply another application of epoxy on the flat surface.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 06:18PM

Ditto, Tom.

Adding another coat over a wavy finish will just make another wavy finish...and it may make it worse.

Date: March 10, 2013 06:19PM

OK thanks for the info Tom, this is my 1st build and everything looks great but this darn epoxy. I read and looked at every video I could find but it did not help they make it look so easy, What grit sandpaper should i use??

Date: March 10, 2013 06:21PM

Depends on how bad it is. 320 to 400 is where you should finish up regardless of what you start with. If the waves are slight, I'd go with 320 to start.

Date: March 10, 2013 06:30PM

OK I will give it a try !!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 07:06PM

Since you are a beginer
1 if you are using a high build finish - use a light - it goes on and stays wet longer and releases bubbles easier - You can also thin out that hight build -- Thinning works i and many others have been doing it FOR YEARS
2 if you use a slow turner to put your finish on -- speed it up if you can Finish goes on quicker and it takes you less time to put it on
3 if your finish room is HOT cool it off Not freezing but not 90 degrees Finish will take longer to set up and flow out better it will take at least 4 - 6 hours for it to set - Anyway
4 You can also -- load it on -- When all are covered - stop the turner -- Let it drip off and with the brush take it off -- turn 180 do again Do this several times - then turn on the dryer

All of this CAN BE FOUND WITH A SEARCH OF THIS SITE ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jared Retter (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 12:30AM

Tom,
When doing a weave above the grip and applying epoxy, due to the many layers of thread vs areas of no thread, how do you get that level?

Date: March 11, 2013 07:53AM

A weave or a cross wrap? If the latter - you don't. Unless, you willing to keep putting on more and more epoxy and once it reaches enough depth you block sand it flat and apply another coat.

Or, you do a closed wrap which is level to begin with.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 10:24PM

Tom,

If you have an open wrap and apply additional epoxy layers would you be able to block sand to achieve a flat surface. Then follow-up with your last epoxy coat there by having a flat finish over the open wrap?

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster