I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing
Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2013 03:28AM

Sorry if this was answered yesterday but my post was deleted. I am working on my forth build and I have not bin completely satisfied with my guide spacing on any of my builds. This rod I will be selling to a friend and I want it to preform as close to perfect as passable. The rod is 8' MODFAST 20-50 lb. The spacing I have now starting at the tip is 5" - 5 4/8" - 5 5/8" - 6 1/16" - 6 5/16" - 8 3/16" - 9 13/16" - 11" The butt guide is 24" from the mid point of the reel seat. I don't have any problems with the line touching or dropping below the blank when almost fully loaded but its close to touching and the line straitens out between the third and forth guides down from the tip. For reasons I don't want to explain again I do not want to add a 9th guide. Would I be ok moving the butt guide up a few more inches to bring everything closer together where I need it or should I move the guides near the tip down to bring the problem guides closer together ? I hope this makes sense and sorry if my terminology is incorrect Im still new to this and not real sure how to explain things properly. I was also wounding if a stripper guide is the correct term for a butt guide or is a stripper guide the name used for the first guide on a fly rod or all rods? Also whats the correct name for all the guides from the butt to the tip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.housing.res.kent.edu)
Date: March 08, 2013 09:41AM

Bill,

I saw your original post, but didn't get to follow the thread. It looks like you've added a guide since then.

Here is how I do my static testing, and it might help you out a bit. I tie a weight directly to the tip top. Then I run the line from the reel through all of the guides in my set (without the guides mounted to the rod), through the tip top, and tie the line to a small weight to put some tension on the line. Next, I begin applying load to the blank and work from the tip top. I place the first guide with very little load on the blank, keeping the relationship between the line and the blank that I want through out the rod. I apply a little more load to the blank, and place the second guide the same way. Continue all the way to the butt (Note: if you use a lot of guide sizes the relationship between the line and blank will change a bit according to the height of the guides. I prefer using as many of the smallest guide I can with only one or two larger sizes when guides are on top.) Once I get to the butt guide, I place it accordingly, make sure that it satisfies any fore grip clearance requirements, etc.

Finally, if I haven't reached my max load for the rod, I'll load it up now, make any adjustments needed. Then check the guides with a few intermediate loads to make sure nothing looks horribly wrong. Finally its off to test cast and wrap. I've found that by working from the tip back and concentrating on each pair of guides individually, I get better more consistent results with my static test. However, if the test tells me I need more guides to get the job done, then I add them in as needed.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2013 11:05AM

Bill,
With a rod of that size and weight you could likely have the butt guide at 30 inches if you wanted.

Be safe
REW

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 08, 2013 12:21PM

Bill one thing to consider is that as you load the rod heavier, the bend shifts down the blank from the tip area to the midsection. Comparatively speaking, the force on the mid section guides goes up and the force on tip section guides goes down as the tip section starts to straighten out under increasing load. Because of this, you may be able to spread out the first few guides a bit more than what you currently have helping with your problem in the midsection.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 08, 2013 06:13PM

Bill,
You might try this

Distance from tip
5.2 ; 10.9 ; 17.1 ; 23.9 ; 31.2 ; 39.3 ; 48.1 ; 57.6

Eugene Moore

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 08:07PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2013 06:37PM

The butt guide is put on at proper height and location as to keep the line off the hand holding the foregrip moving it father away may have the line hitting the hand holding the rod forgrip
carefull there
8 ' rod - guides on top casting conventional Sounds like you can use another guide

Also check into a Spiral wrap Rod does not twist - easier to fish the reel stays on top of the rod
Plus less guides needed

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 06:40PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:15AM

Thanks for all the good info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster