I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide shape
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 07:56AM

Has anyone ever made ring guides, particularly choker guides, in any shape but a perfect circle? Gravity has to deform the parting loops of line into something other than a perfect circle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide shape
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 08:07AM

Most likely what you're not looking for, but to answer the question of "Has anyone ever made ring guides, particularly choker guides, in any shape but a perfect circle?"...the answer is YES

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 08:28AM

I believe Kigan also offers a guide similar to the Fuji guides

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: March 04, 2013 08:31AM

Not sure what brand they were, but my father in law had a spinning rod built one time that had different shaped guides. Wasn't an oval, more of a round pointed pentagon shape if that makes since. He loved them and said they helped cast further. He cut those guides of several times and had them put on other rods. Personally I don't think they added any casting distance, think it was a mental thing as those guides were way different than anything else he had. He really liked them. I've looked over the years at various sites, but have not seen anything that resembles what he had.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 08:32AM

Jay:

You are right! I should have qualified my question: Has anyone tried making a guide in a shape other than a perfect circle TO IMPROVE CASTING PERFORMANCE?

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: March 04, 2013 11:42AM

I believe that Kigan has some in a triangle shape. I don't know if it was done for casting performance of not though. You might ask Alex at Hydra as he is there rep.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 01:22PM

Ken is partially correct and Thomas is completely correct.

We currently have a ceramic ring with a triangle insert. We had a big poster of it and a demo rod at the Expo. The guides are currently featured on Airrus Rods. The concept behind the ring is a reduction in friction and channeling of the line. We recommend the first two guides from the reel to have these rings. You will be hearing more about this in coming months.

We also have a heavy duty single foot guide with a triangle insert. This guide is more like a single foot but the ring is an oval triangle (rounded corners, larger opening at bottom, etc). This is being used by a couple OEMs as a stripper guide on casting rods.

Later today I will get some pictures of both up.

Good news - a lot has been done on the website and we're at a point we're purely loading all the data tables and charts... so all of this will be on our Hydra site very soon!

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 01:31PM

Allan Manufacturing used to make guides with an oval ring.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 09:13PM

Here you go:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster