I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson Rx8 XSB 843
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 02:21AM

Anyone built on this blank before? I was looking at the XSB 842 rated medium action, and the line lure ratings are what I'm after, but compared to the Rx7 model of the same rod it's over 1 ounce lighter and has a 4.5 tip compared to a 5.5 on the rx7 and a butt of .455 compared to the rx7 of .600.

Even high mod offerings from Loomis's 842 glx, NFC's SJ 704, and St croix's sc V rods in medium powered fast action 7' spin rods all come in close to 2 ounces. Which leads me to believe the ratings on this blank might be overrated and it's probably more of a medium light...

In the Rx8 there is a XSB 843 which is rated as MH, but only weighs 1.65 ounces and is still lighter than the aforementioned companies in medium action rods. Is this probably the rod I'm after power-wise?

Looking for a deep water shakey head rod/finesse jig rod and senkos too...etc. Basically a 8-12 pound test spin jig rod.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson Rx8 XSB 843
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 10:14AM

Sam,

I have built numerious RX8 XSB 842's and XSB 843's. The XSB 842 makes a great Senko Rod; but for for finesse jigs and/or deeper water I would go with the RX8 XSB843. It has a better back bone for the deeper water and a little heavier lure weight.

Everyone that I have built either of these two rods and raved about them!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2013 05:43PM

I've built quite a few 843s both XSB and XMB. I have also built several XSB 842 for shakey head guys which love the blank for lighter line say 10 lb. maybe 8 lb on small bait casting reels.

I personally use a XMB and XSB 843. For the money they are hard to beat.

I have used the RX7 in the same blanks. There is quite a bit of difference in these blanks and the RX8. Great blanks but they fish a little different. The RX7 takes more abuse than a RX8 will. They both have a purpose.

Date: March 03, 2013 06:27PM

Mark Marshall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've built quite a few 843s both XSB and XMB. I
> have also built several XSB 842 for shakey head
> guys which love the blank for lighter line say 10
> lb. maybe 8 lb on small bait casting reels.
>
> I personally use a XMB and XSB 843. For the
> money they are hard to beat.
>
> I have used the RX7 in the same blanks. There is
> quite a bit of difference in these blanks and the
> RX8. Great blanks but they fish a little
> different. The RX7 takes more abuse than a RX8
> will. They both have a purpose.

Looking for something like a spin jig medium power, but with a bit more butt power but same light tip. Pretty much between a sj medium and a mag bass medium (2) power.

Does the 843 sound like the better fit?

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2013 07:02PM

You need to think about line weight and the type of hook with these rods and the cover or lack of. To me the XSB 843 will cover a lot of different applications if the cover is not to thick. I think it will do what you want if you are in the 12 to 15 line class. Maybe a little heavy for 10 lb.

The size of hook (including diameter) of hook will make a difference.

I can tell you this, then I went to an RX7 to an RX8 I had to completely change my hook set. Mono to FC with the change.

I use baitcasting reels on the rods I have memtioned.

Date: March 05, 2013 07:49PM

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going with the XSB 842. Kerry at Batson helped me out. Great guy, tremendous customer service.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster