I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K-R concept transition from KT to KB guides
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2013 05:35PM

According to Fuji's K-R concept, how do you determine at what point do you should switch from KT to KB guides? I'm considering this in terms of a longer (7'+) spiral wrapped rod and conventional reel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 10:48AM by John E Powell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K-R concept transition from KB to KT guides
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 08:36PM

Go down 17 topics below yours. Should answer your question.

Lance

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 08:49PM

John,

From my experience the first two or three guides can be the KT Guides, then I switch over to the KB Guides. I let the thickness of the rod blank shown me where to transition from the KT Guides to the KB's. The foot on the KB Guides are wider than the foot on the KT Guides, so the KB Guides would tend to stick out from the edge of the blank where it is thinner.

I really like the new KB Guides; but they just don't work real well all the way out to the tip.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: March 02, 2013 08:55PM

Donald,

That is sort of what I expected. Can you give me an estimate of the blank diameter at which you find the KB 4.5's foot too wide to fit the blank properly?

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 10:04AM

John,

I just "eye ball" the KB guide and the blank from above and when the KB guide foot does not extend beyond the edge of the blank I switch over to the KB's. I really like the strength of the KB's; but use the KT's, (2-3 of them), in the tip area to keep the weight down in the tip. Obviously, it is necessary to use a lock wrap on both the KT's & the KB's.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 10:06AM by Donald R Campbell.

Date: March 03, 2013 10:42AM

Don,

It sounds like your switching from KT to KB sooner than I considered. I guess I have been thinking the blank diameter should be about twice the size of the width of the KB foot before switching to them from the KT. But in the thread I read (which Lance from Swampland refers to above being 17 threads below this one) some builders apparently are using the KB all the way out to the tip. This seems counterintuitive to me and is why I started this thread.

Re: Fuji K-R concept transition from KT to KB guides
Date: March 03, 2013 11:09AM

On heavy power rods such as blanks that has tip sizes of 6.0 through 7.0 the guide foot doesn't extend outsideof the blank. It makes sense to us to use a heavier duty guides on power rods for durability. Also taking in consideration the design of the foot, which is wider and has a couple of barbs to help keep the guide from pulling out we see no need to use a locking wrap.

Lance

Date: March 03, 2013 04:58PM

Lance,

Thank you for the clarification.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 10:33AM

Lance is as good at this as anyone, but for what it's worth here is Fuji's official stance:

On Casting rods add 3 KB guides after the 5.5 KW reduction guide. 4 or 4.5 ring size.

On spinning rods add 1 KB guide after the 5.5KL-H reduction guide. 4 or 4.5

I add 1 extra KB to Fuji's recommendation. It just makes me feel better.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 04, 2013 01:07PM

Jim,

So If I understand what you wrote correctly, Fuji has no official recommendation as to what should be the minimum recommended blank diameter to accommodate a KB's wider foot?

Date: March 04, 2013 03:24PM

My only recommendation is that if the blank is wide enough to support the KB guide I'll use them but if the blank is smaller in diameter then I go with the narrower KT guides.

Lance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 03:41PM

So you will need both guides as you build and determine what guides to use

Just like any other system

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:24AM

John: KB's are always specified by Fuji as mid-rod guides. In that position, rod diameter is not an issue. Only when you push them further out to positions Fuji never suggested does it become an issue.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 06, 2013 10:00AM

Jim,

Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster