I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Ideas
Posted by: Ed Hermoyian (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 01:58PM

I am trying to build a rod as a surprise for a relative and have only limited information about his fishing. He fishes offshore for yellowfin, wahoo, mahi and sailfish, almost always with live bait. I know this is sketchy, but would appreciate any blank suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Ideas
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 02:26PM

For that selection I'd personally choose a 6.5'-7' live bait rod around the 50# class. If the tuna wasn't in the mix, or if the tuna are only blackfins, I'd be ok with going down to a 30# class.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 28, 2013 02:58PM

Yes, as Jay is hinting, any rod suitable for yellowfin is way too heavy (IMHO) for mahi and sailfish. Do you know if he is trolling live bait, fishing it under a kite, under a ballon, drifting with the current??? And are you positive it is yellowfin and not blackfin tuna.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:31PM

Thanks guys. I will try to pick up a little more info. He lives 5 hours away and I'm trying to be covert (to create the surprise), but will keep trying. Thanks again.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 05:56PM

I can understand the need to be covert. Just knowing where he fishes, and if from his own boat and its size, would help.

For example, in my area (southeast Florida), a guy fishing from his own boat for yellowfin would have to own a rather big/nice boat and travel quite far offshore (possibly to the bahamas). Such an angler is going to have more means and therefore something a little nicer is in order. On the other hand, guys in San Diego often go on long range party boats for yellowfin.

You'd be looking at very different rod choices for those two examples.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (206.74.253.---)
Date: February 28, 2013 07:23PM

My assumption was that the guy fishes on the east coast since Ed is in Georgia. My guess is the guy fishes in Fla since he live baits for the species listed.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 08:11PM

Fair guess Jay (and BTW where are you?).

I had no idea where Ed was from.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 28, 2013 09:50PM

LoL I searched for his location...I didn't know.

I'm an eastern NC native, lived on the middle coast of the state for 8 years, now live across the cable span bridge from Charleston in the town of Mount Pleasant.

Date: March 01, 2013 07:12AM

Jay and Russ-did some more detective work. He fishes out of Charleston It is his own boat and often runs 30-50 miles to fish. Found a pic that looks like he also fishes some artificials. Whatever I end up building, I realize it will only fit 1 maybe 2 applications. As mainly a FW bass guy, your help is very valuable! Thanks again.

Date: March 01, 2013 08:15AM

Live bait fishing isn't very efficient when using a trolling-type rod while trolling CAN be done with a live bait rod. If he is going to be using this as a multi-purpose rod, and live bait is part of that, then I'd certainly go with a LB rod. Something like a Calstar Grafighter GF700 or GF600 series (or other similar blanks). You can choose the line rating range depending on what size tackle he prefers to use.

Date: March 01, 2013 08:19AM

A very sincere thanks for all your help guys.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 01, 2013 08:32AM

It is Jay's waters so he is the man to follow. I'd be curious to know how common the Yellowfin are. I'd be more inclined to think he will see a lot more dolphin, sailfish, wahoo, and king mackeral. A 30# class rod would be about right for live baiting those guys. If I was going to catch a yellowfin of any size on live bait I want a 50# class stand up type rod.....but I wouldn't want that for the other fish.

The Garfighter is a very solid chice IMHO. Phenix is another that is building a solid following.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Arthur Wamback (64.192.133.---)
Date: March 01, 2013 09:03AM

Jay, I'll be staying at the Charleston Harbor Resort/Marina May 9-13. I'd like to find an open boat charter, unless there's good action in the suds. What's around that time of year?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster