I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiderwrmap on Calstar700
Posted by: chris short (122.151.93.---)
Date: February 26, 2013 05:46AM

Ok just got Billy's Book and have been reading and let me first say what a great book, so much information and i have learnt alot already. And thats without even starting a wrap. I was just after some help as I am pretty confussed (i havent really read a book since high school). I was thinking about wrapping a Spider wrap for my first try. So I firstly mark the 0 degree and 180 degree axis with the spacing, work out the taper offset? so now i will wrap thread up the blank and down the blank which will create crosses on these marks. now i have to create a "box" and this is what i have not really got yet. I know the spacings are on the back pages but i just dont know what to do with them. when it says white box out is that just one tread or a "pass" which i read was 4 threads. I have read the firs chapters with all the info it just has not clicked yet and i am confused maybe i should start with an easier wrap was thinking about trying a fade chevron as an alternative,any help would be greatand sorryy billy if you read this your book is great and full of information but i am just a dumb ass lol

CKR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiderwrmap on Calstar700
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 09:02AM

You ar eon track so far, thank you for such a descriptive question I wish they were all this detailed it makes it a lot easier for me to answer. I'm going to be repetitive but I'm trying to get the info to you & anyone else clearly and in relation to teh terms in the book.
1. Spacing is marked on the blank, and you've gone up and down the blank one time hitting these points. You should have a cross formed on each of your dots. This is instruction A.
2. The next step is to do instruction B, the Black Box, 4 threads. This can be wrapped as a band by using Plano 3700 trick, by cutting the threads to length, or you can wrap 1 thread at a time and go up and down 4 times). YOu should now have a cross surrounded by a black box as it looks in the first picture.
3. The wrap will be built by executing instruction A, then B (this counts as one pass). Then back to A, then B. REpeat until the pattern is built and the space between the cross and box closes. Any patternin the book is created this way, execute A, B, C, D...then repeat and repeat, and repeat. The sequence, directions, and colors will make the threads "weave" together and that is what forms the pattern.

But, the problem is how far apart should you place black box be in relation to the white cross and the initial layout??? That is where the the Spacing Chart comes into play. At the top of the instruction list it says, "Spacing A". Go to the back and look at chart A, there's a bunch of numbers and letters and measurements. You first need to know how many passes you will make the Spider wrap; the number of passes will determine the size of the Spider - more passes teh larger it will be. Figuring out how many passes to use comes with experiance. I tell people all the time to make an 8 pass Spider, and see how it looks on the blank you are using. 8 passes is big enough to look good on big blanks, and small enough to not wrap too far around a small blank.

Reading the chart - Go to where it says 8 passes. The chart is constructed to be read as follows, "The spacing between Point A & point B is 2.5millimeters". This means you can set a caliper, divider, compass, or mark a piece of paper about 3mm, and use that to measure ALONG the axis of the blank the distance from the start of B Black Box, to A center cross. Do this on both sides of the center cross.

I explained this probably 25 times this weekend at the ICRBE, it's much easier to do when I have the book open and can flip back and forth. I hope this gets you on your way - IMO just sit down and do it, and whateer happens post a pic and if something is wrong I or someone else will point out the mistake and get you going. Once it clicks and you "get it" - you will be able to do any wrap in the book.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 09:29AM

I too having trouble with this concept. However I have not been able to sit down with the book and wrap as I read. I am sure there will be a big learning curve when I can do this. Thanks Billy for the information.

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Date: February 26, 2013 09:54AM

Corky - you are not alone, there are a lot of people who have my book and they have a hard time getting on track. That is why I go out of my way to try and help people: whether it be at a NERBs Gathering, a forum question, an e-mail, or at a seminar - I go great lengths to get this info out there. It makes me feel good knowing that i've reached so many people and helped them, and that even those who are unable to grasp wraps, at least I did my best to help them. I wanna give everyone there $40 worth, lol.

Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: February 26, 2013 11:16AM

Thank you so much. I appreciate your time and once again thanks has made a lot of sense. I will sit down and just try and see what happens thanks billy I look forward to showing you how I go

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 26, 2013 04:34PM

Patience and practice. You will get better and learn more with each wrap you do. Follow the instructions to the letter and don't give up.

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Date: February 26, 2013 07:08PM

Was thinking may even practise on a piece of dowl any thoughts

Date: February 26, 2013 11:19PM

A dowel is fine, I did that too. IMO, just practice on a blank, if it's successful you don't have to do it all over again and you can show it off. If not just cut it off.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:13AM

Yeah cheers makes sense

Date: February 27, 2013 03:24AM

Billy just a question once formed the cros and box I the. Go back to instruction a do I wrap this 4 times also if it says +1 do I wrap 5 threads on the second pass on the box then 6 ect

Date: February 27, 2013 07:05AM

Do not do +1, just do the black box as a band of 4 threads on every pass, it's much easier to keep track of.
Once you go back to instruction A, you will wrap on all 4 sides of that initial cross.

Date: February 27, 2013 07:33AM

Thank you about to Mark out so going to try the wrap cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster