I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwrap question
Posted by: phil-barrows (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 02:35AM

When u do under wraps , do you coat the under wrap prior to installing the wrapped guide.
Just wondering because, it seems to be much harder packing the over wrap as it does nor want to slide over the Uncoated under wrap threads,

So, I then coated the under wrap, waited a day for drying, them wrapped the guides on and finally recoated the whole thing

I am guessing that all the extra coating and thread does affect the rod handling

Any opinions??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwrap question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 08:21AM

most only use an underwrap on HEAVY salt rods since it does add weight On lighter stuff just prep the guide feet well so they are smooth

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 10:43AM

Phil, I think is about an even split. Personally I do coat my underwrap before putting on the guides. Partly for the reasons you suggest and partly because it makes the guide wrap finish a little easier for me.

If you make the underwrap with A thread and the guide wrap with D thread it should self pack very well. You might give that a try and compare.

As far as effect on the blank....I feel it is of no consequence on any blank heavy enough to be getting underwraps.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 11:39AM

I do not coat my underwraps. I am just careful wrapping the guides that all the threads are next to each other so I don't have a lot of pushing thread around to do.

Date: February 23, 2013 03:34PM

On light stuff you can also do what is called a False underwrap
just wrap ( on double foot guides ) in between the feet Then when the feet are wrapped it looks like a underwrap A little lighter

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: phil-barrows (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2013 01:10AM

Nice tips guys
I like the false underwrap idea, especially on a lighter rod, like a surf rod

Am wondering how an underwrap looks on a single foot guide . Prob not too good

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 24, 2013 12:07PM

Both of the following will give you an idea. The single foot isn't an underwrap, but with the trim you'll get an idea of how it would look. The double foot is a false underwrap. These guides were on the same rod.

Single foot [www.rodbuilding.org]

Double foot [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 12:09PM by Jay Lancaster.

Date: February 24, 2013 08:00PM

Do you want PRETTY or do you want a GOOD PERFORMING ROD

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster