I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reverse Feature On Wood Lathes
Posted by: Dan McClatchey (---.rb2.clm.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 07:04PM

Hello!

Is the reverse feature that is found on some wood lathes helpful in turning and sanding grips and reel seats whether the material be cork,wood or other?

I've studied threads here for the last week and noticed that while some have purchased lathes without variable speed and get along fine, others welcome the upgrade to variable speed. I was looking at the Jet 1220 CS with extension and mentally was thinking this would be one I would try to buy. I noticed there is a newer model coming out, which is the Jet 1221 that has a bit larger motor and reverse. This is what has prompted the question above. In addition, for what the new Jet 1221 costs with extension new, a person could find a preowned full size lathe for near the same.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reverse Feature On Wood Lathes
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 07:36PM

Dan,
Although I love having reverse on my power rod wrapper, I really haven't felt the need for a reverse on my wood lathe.

However, one thing that is very very useful and that is the lathe bed extension. There are many many times that I use the lathe bed extension - even when working with things that are not that long.
The reason for the lathe bed extension, is that the extension is very very helpful, when using long bits, and or mandrels for grips and or drilling. It is so nice to be able to slide the tail stock on down the bed to be out of the way when fitting a chuck, mandrel, or long drill bit.

For actual wood turning, and using turning chisels, one would never want to use reverse - I don't believe.

Of course, if you did not have the tool rest in place and wanted to have the work piece in reverse for some unique sanding job, then the use of reverse might be nice.

If you used your lathe to do reaming, and used the head stock to hold the reamer, then you also might find it very useful to have reverse to have the reamer turn in the correct direction for either the milled flutes on the reamer or the way that the sand paper might have been applied to the reamer.

But for routine shaping and sanding using conventional tools, there is really very little need for a reverse on the lathe.

Good luck
Roger
+

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natnow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 09:11PM

Veriable speed is important on a lathe for wood turning. Maybe not so much for cork.
You need to "round-down" wood at a low speed to keep it from tearing.
I wish my rod winder had reverse. If, for some reason, I wanted to turn something on it, I now have to turn the whole machine around to get it turning into the tools.

Date: February 18, 2013 10:18PM

Garry,
Any time you like, just drop me an e-mail and we can work out a power unit for your rod wrapper if you like.

hflier@comcast.net

Roger

This was a unit that I built for a fellow builder a couple of months ago. The white rocker switch on the face of the power supply is the reversing switch for the motor:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:34PM

I have been using lathes a long time(teaching shop and woodworking+using before that)and see no practical use for reverse. Variable speed yes reverse no. The only thing I can see it for is sanding maybe.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 01:23AM

I have had a jet 1220 for almost a year now. It is not a variable speed. Although variable speed would be nice to have, for cork/eva, you do not neet it. I have yet to change the speed on my lathe when working with grips since I bought it. If I do need to change it, it can be done pretty quickly with how they have the lathe set up. I found mine on craigslist for a good bargain. With all the new models coming out, if you keep your eye out, you can probably run across a good one from someone who is looking to upgrade at a good price. Just expect to spend some money on all the other stuff you need for the lathe....chuck, chisels, etc. That's where the money can add up pretty quickly.

Date: February 19, 2013 02:26AM

Jeremy,
I do many things on my lathe besides grips.
As a result, I change the speed of the lathe a great deal.

When you are doing drilling with the lathe and tail stock, the speed needs to be much slower than when sanding.

But if using lathe chisels, then the speed needs to be somewhere in between the slower sanding speed and the fast sanding speed.

Be safe
REW

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 04:12AM

I change the speeds all the time when making grips and using the lathe for other provesses - reaming, grinding, buffing, boring. It is niceto have VS, but even with that you have to change the belt to fo from the slowest to the highest speed. THere are 3 ranges of speeds, check the specs on the lathe.

Reverse - if you search everyone says for sanding wood it's useful. I don't know since I do not work with wood. There's enoughinfo out there that you can find out with a few searches.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 06:34AM

My concern is with a chuck screwed on it would tend to loosen in reverse. I guess a morse taper fitting and a pressure mounting is in order.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 19, 2013 08:32AM

I thouhgt about it a bit. WhenI see guys sanding wood, they put their hand behind the piece and cup the sandpaper. THis causes teh dust to fly up. MAybe the reverse festure allows them to sand and have a clear view of the workpiece since teh dust is now flowing below? I dunno just guessing.

Freddy, that might happen if it's not tight, but if you're using a chuck whatever you'r eturning is in a tialstock, supported on the other end, so it shouldn't be able to fly off like that.

Date: February 19, 2013 08:32AM

I thouhgt about it a bit. WhenI see guys sanding wood, they put their hand behind the piece and cup the sandpaper. THis causes teh dust to fly up. MAybe the reverse festure allows them to sand and have a clear view of the workpiece since teh dust is now flowing below? I dunno just guessing.

Freddy, that might happen if it's not tight, but if you're using a chuck whatever you'r eturning is in a tialstock, supported on the other end, so it shouldn't be able to fly off like that.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 11:00AM

I should clarify, I am doing only sanding and roughing work on my grips (cork/eva/foam). I haven't needed to bore yet; I do a lot of split grips which are usually no more than 4" or so. To bore these, I use a drill press and a self centering drill vise. [www.woodcraft.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2013 11:12AM

Variable speed is always nice. Reverse is rarely needed. I have two lathes that both feature reverse - I've never run either of them in that direction.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2013 05:27PM

For most all turning applications, standard rotation is all you need. Some people who do a lot of spindle work may purchase a duplicator. There are a variety of duplicators. Some mount to the front and must be installed to use and then removed when you switch back to traditional turning. A nicer setup is to have a rear mounted duplicator; these stay out of the way when you need to do traditional turning so they can be set up once and left on even when not being used. Some rear mounted duplicators mount the tool upside down and can be used with forward rotation, others mount the tool facing up and require a lathe that turns in reverse.

Unless you're considering something like this, all you really need is variable speed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster