I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide feet
Posted by: Dale Thiel (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 12:26AM

I just wrapped a pink rod with pink thread and the guide feet are showing through when I put cp on the thread is their any fixes for this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide feet
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 06:23AM

Showing through as in the thread turned transparent or showing through as in between the threads themselves?

Date: February 12, 2013 09:03AM

Just wemt down and put a magnifying glass to the wraps and it is showing between the wraps, so do I have to pack the thread that much tighter as I thought I had packed it tight before?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 09:12AM

Yep
pack tighter
And on some colors it is wise to use NCP thread with a coat of CP to help keep the color

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 12, 2013 09:27AM

thanks for the answer will get to work

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 09:47AM

Pack and burnish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 10:00AM

Dale,
Another option for this sort of build with a light rod - is to prepaint the guide feet with a light colored stain to match the blank.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 11:24AM

The thing I picked up on in your second post is that you packed the thread, but you didn't mention burnishing. You really need to burnish the thread so it will lay flat and fill any gaps. Also, if you grind your feet you'll sometimes get the "glint" of silver through no matter what you do. I like coloring them to match the original finish (usually black).

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 11:31AM

Light colors = 1/ use NCP 2/ pack threads tightly 3/ burnish threads 4/ apply color preserver (on NCP too for very light colors)

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 06:48PM

........and perhaps a light coat of a similar color nail polish on the guide foot!

rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster