I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reamer Issues
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 12:47PM

DOH!!!

Been using factory reamers with no issues until recently. Built a grip with rubberized cork and some burl cork. Nothing I havent used in the past. This time things got hot and the sand paper popped off the reamers. Had this happen on two of them.

Ordered some replacement sand paper strip and fixed them back up. Went at another grip with burnt cork rings and it happened again.

Not doing anything different than before.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reamer Issues
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 11, 2013 12:51PM

You didn't write if your using the reamers by hand or turning with power. if your turning the reamer under power, you're probably heating it to the point that the adhesive is becoming soft again. if your reaming by hand, I don't have a suggestion, sorry.

Date: February 11, 2013 12:53PM

Power sorry. Corded drill.

Same one I've always used.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 11, 2013 01:03PM

Are these narrow strips of paper adhered on with contact cement or epoxy coated and covered with crystals?

Date: February 11, 2013 01:26PM

strips or paper with contact cement.

The first reamers were from the factory. Then I repaired those with new paper and CC.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 02:07PM

The cause is HEAT...................you are allowing the reamer to get too hot, which softens the contact cement. Slow down and do not let it get hot to the point the cement releases.

The composite corks are tougher to ream then plain cork, which necessitates going slower when using power to turn the reamer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 02:10PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: February 11, 2013 03:20PM

Went pretty slow on the last grip. Will try to curb it more.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 03:55PM

Adam,
Use a metal - machine shop made reamer - and you will have no issues with it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 04:38PM

if you can drill the handle out to the smallest area where it will sit then you will have less to ream

ream a ( little ) stop let it cool off Then ream again like said it is not regular cork and will take a little more to inlarge the hole

take a look at the flex coat on reaming handles

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 04:40PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 04:45PM

Most corded drills are not variable speed, so if yours is not, take it easy and don't let it overheat the reamer.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 05:15PM

you can also dril out each ring to the smallest size then glue together and ream when dry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 11:19PM

Phil,

I have purchased many corded drills over the years, and except for drills that were purchased MANY years ago, they have all been variable speed.

I use three or 4 corded drills to ream cork. I generally use circular files to ream cork - with the drill turning backward.

Even with the files, I generally am turning the files rather slowly - something like 500-1000 rpm.

Date: February 12, 2013 01:22PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Like winter fishing, I'll go slower!

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 12:47AM

Also if you're reaming, go with lay of the strip and not against it. This will help prevent it from popping off if you do happen to heat it just a little.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster