I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

clear coating a raw graphite blank?
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 01:51PM

I'm having a NFC casting rod built, and the builder asked if I wanted the blank coated. It is something I've considered in the past, but have never looked into it.

Can anyone tell me if clear coat (i think he was going to use epoxy or flex coat probably) holds up well over time, and does it offer the blank any extra protection? Also curious if it cuts down on sensitivity...I've heard this, but I have some painted loomis factory rods and I can't notice any sensitivity loss?

If anyone has pictures, or links to pictures of rods that have been clear coated it would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the old GLX Loomis blanks were coated? Or were they just sanded differently thank NFC blanks? because mine have a slightly different appearance, my glx's have less ceilo marks and a slightly smoother surface... I know the IMX blanks were coated with some kind of slate finish.

Thanks guys,
Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clear coating a raw graphite blank?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 02:38PM

A graphite blank does not really need any clear coating
but
if you want to coat it permagloss or lumiSeal or a urethane is the best
A auto two part clears are very good also

epoxy not really

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 10, 2013 02:50PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A graphite blank does not really need any clear
> coating
> but
> if you want to coat it permagloss or lumiSeal or a
> urethane is the best
> A auto two part clears are very good also
>
> epoxy not really

I probably had it wrong...I think he did mention permagloss. I was just curious what it looks like coated? I probably won't do it, but am just exploring it now that he brought it up. I do like the way some of my factory painted loomis rods shine, but prefer not have color. I'll try to find pictures. If you have any or can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

Thanks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 03:25PM

Perma Gloss will give it a glossy finish, and if done properly, will not add much weight. Two part rod wrapping epoxy would be my last choice, too soft and too much weight.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 10, 2013 05:03PM

I have done many raw blanks in Permagloss with great results. I apply it with a coffee filter paper and do two coats with an hours drying time between coats.
If you use epoxy, you will be annoyed with the result and, the blank will become significantly heavier.
Cheers
Chris

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:05PM

I don't know why any rodbuilder would even suggest putting a coating on a high modulus blank like an NFC in the first place.

Date: February 10, 2013 08:24PM

I'm sure he meant perma gloss...it was me who was confused, as I have never done this. I like the look of raw graphite. but I do have some painted GLX rods, that I can't tell a sensitivity or wt difference on. But they are probably some form of perma gloss or something similar dyed because you can see the ceilo rings through them and it looks nice.

But again I don't want it to appear dyed or painted. I was just trying to get some feedback on perma glossing a blank and what it would look like as all my NFC builds are left unfinished.

Does anyone know if the old GLX MBR blanks were coated with something? Becasue they don't seem as "raw" looking as my NFC blanks. If this is the look it would give I may consider...but they just may be sanded more than the NFC blanks??

sorry for the confusion...my post wasn't clear, and I'm ignorant to this b/c as said before all of my customs have been left unfinished.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 11:04PM

NFC left the finish off their blanks for good reason. They didn't want the added weight. I would leave it as the matte grey it comes with and fish the heck out of it.

If you must add finish, permagloss or an auto-spray clear coat would be my only choices.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 09:12AM

Water on the blank will let you see what it will look like with a clear on it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 12:38PM

So if he decides to clear the blank how much performance is he going to lose. None of us know so it's a guessing game. My guess is "not much".

I would akin this to changing to a slightly more restrictive air filter or exhaust on a performance car. A loss of 5hp is inevitable. Performance is certainly affected...detectable on a 1/4 mile run, but not in daily traffic.

Happy Fishing!

Date: February 11, 2013 01:33PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Water on the blank will let you see what it will
> look like with a clear on it

That's a good idea...if true this would be an easy enough test for me to perform.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 08:38PM

i would just wax it every so often and call it a day strait carnuba will work fine and shine it up!

Posted by: Jon Bial (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 01:02AM

Coating adds between 8 and 10 percent to a raw blank. We don't do it because a raw carbon blank will outperform a coated blank.

I've done weight and frequency tests with identical models where one was coated and one wasn't. In both tests, the difference was roughly 10 percent.

Coating helps catch fishermen, it doesn't help catch fish.

Jon

Date: February 12, 2013 10:37PM

Thanks Jon...guess you can disregard that email I sent you.

I would not have guessed the wt difference would be that much...I can't tell a difference on my painted rods vs. nonpainted.

I will probably leave it unfinished.

Date: February 12, 2013 10:37PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 10:41PM by Sam Moore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster