I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam Grips
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 08:07PM

A frend of mine wants me to rebuild his salt rod. My question, the rod has a foam for grip and he has a habbit of setting his hooks in it every now and again,
is there a product that you can fill the holes and match colers, or is it trash
He likes the grip if i can salvage it.
thank you all in advance for ypour help.

Curt

Chumming from a float tube,
is a once in a life time experance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam Grips
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 08:12PM

He like "that" grip...or he like a foam grip? There are plenty of foam grips you can replace it with. I'm sure he's smart enough to realize that. What makes his so special?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 10:12PM

do you mean EVA or Hypalon or what type of foam?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 09:15AM

In the process wrap a hook keeper on it for him.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 09:46AM

Curtis -
Cut off the grip and put on a new EVA grip for him - along with a good hook keeper.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:03AM

if he does not like that he can also use the butt guide ( Frame ) as a hook keeper Not the ring !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:11AM

Quick fix. sand the grip smooth if need be. Fill holes with Rod Bond. Next day sand the rough edges of Rod Bond smooth. Install shrink tubing over grip. Use X wrap shrink tubing if you want to dress the grip.

Fuji sells an excellent hook keeper that can be mounted any place on the rod. It is very easily moved or removable.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 11:40AM

This is a rod his father built for him 20 some odd years ogow he has since passed. He just wanted to keep it as close as posable as it was, Prity emotional seen when he has the rod in his hands.
He beats himself up pritty good for beating the rod over the years, dont take the little things in life for granted they only come around once and they can become pritty important later on.

rear grip is wood, refinish will be no proublem, the real seet is all metal cromed, had a friend that does custom sheet metal work he straitened out the hoods and
polished it up with paste and a dremel looks good considering.

the for grip im not shure its smother than EVA not as open celled or did i get it backwords.
I have not tuched it yet, I told him in the begining i may have to replace it im just trying to do what i can
im going to bring a pitchure to the expo and see if i can match the coler, if i can do that it would be good, i can shape the grip to match.

winding check,chromed metal pollished out looks great. the blank is in good shape a few scufs nothing bad, the guides are shot, new guides and a hook keeper will be added. the wrap no proublem to match coler up and replace.

I thank you for your replys and i hope to meet some of you at the expo.
Curt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster