I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap guide placement
Posted by: Todd Spink (---.dr01.hnvr.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 07:07PM

Hey guys I want to do a spiral wrap on a st. Croix S568MXF-B . I'm going to use it for vert. Jig.my question is can I use the standard guide chart that st.croix list. or do I use different .how far from center of reel seat should i put 0 degree guide.then 90 then 180. Should I try to get to 180 rather quick or not quick, can I use simple spiral or more guides
to get to 180.ill take all the help I can get .thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap guide placement
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 07:25PM

If you want the easiest method w/o having to think about it, just use a guide chart. Set the guides up, turn them all to 180 except for the stripper, add your bumper, and never think about it again.

There are as many methods of doing a spiral as there are people on this board that has ever done one. You can go easy or you can think about it for 20 years and try it 100 different ways. It's up to you.

I would personally do a static test to place my own guides w/o using a chart then do a simple spiral by adding a bumper...at which point I'd attempt to remove at least one of the 180s to reduce weight and improve casting (if that is a concern).

I've done different transition methods and the bumper guide method...they all get the job done.

Date: February 04, 2013 08:23PM

Easy is good for me .i was just worried about the bumper guide being in to much of the rod bend area????

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:48PM

Like Jay said Many ways to do the same thing

I figure since the guides are going to be at the 180 I put them all there Static test adjust At the 180 it usually takes less guides
Put the butt guide at 0 then let the line tell me where the rest or transition guides should go
look for the streightest line path and change the sizes if and usually have to making the line streight
I may go thought several guide size changes till I think it seems right

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 05, 2013 01:11PM

I may be confused, is the bumper guide the same as a transition guide. Also if in doing simple wrap is it good to put the transition guide half way between the 0 degree and the 180 degree. I'm sure I could find these answers in other forums, but I'm new at this and still learning. Thanks

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 01:48PM

A bumper guide isn't a transition guide so to speak. It is simply there to keep the line off the blank. The bumper guide is not a part of your running guides and should not be thought of as such. You need to set your running guides first and then add the bumper between the stripper and first 180. The bumper should not carry any load.

Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.netrun.cytanet.com.cy)
Date: February 05, 2013 02:28PM

I find the revolver method works the best( transition done in 60 degree increments). I leave the 60 degree guide loose during the first static test and find where it wants to stand in order to place the line exactly in the middle above the guide foot. This way , It can produce a near perfect straight line running from the reel to the 180, with the standard placement of the 120 and 180.

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S
[phillipshotrods.wix.com]

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.t-n-media.de)
Date: February 05, 2013 06:05PM

The Simple Spiral will work very well for that application. The Bumper guide is not a transition guide. Spacing should be done without the Bumper guide in place. Only after your other spacing is done is the Bumper guide added.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 12:20AM

Also, remember, that the bumper guide on a simple spiral can be very small with the ring very close to the rod.

Roger

Date: February 08, 2013 12:11AM

Alright the more I read the dumber I'm getting.i think I need to start over and learn what a simple spiral really is.where can I find a good article with pictures or step by step. Help,

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 08, 2013 12:52PM

Todd, do a search in the forum with the term "spiral wrap" and make sure to change the default from last 30 days to a year or more. You will find that this has been hashed over many many times before. There's some good advice and some bad, but if you read up enough of them, you will see the common themes and get a good feel for what you're trying to accomplish along with many good tips.

If that is not enough, and you crave more, I would recommend the following CD: [www.rodmakermagazine.com]
On the CD, among other things, is a collection of 6 original articles on different ways to approach spiral wraps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 12:55PM by John E Powell.

Date: February 09, 2013 12:36AM

I will check it out.thanks a lot for your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster