I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

float rod guides
Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:10AM

Going to build my first float rod, Ive done some research and Ive decided on a 13' batson. I read some guys using the NGC, since this is usually used for spinning rods I was just wondering how to determine the choke point?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: float rod guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:16AM

Check the Library page for info

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.sub-174-252-51.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:26AM

Bill,
I can only find info on spinning rods with the concept, no info on float or centerpin style rods.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:51AM

The purpose of the NGC is to tame the line coming off a spinning reel. The line on a float rod or center pin comes off in a more or less straight line. I'm not sure what you would accomplish by using the NGC.

Date: February 04, 2013 08:56AM

That's kinda what I was wondering, but in some of my research on the forum I found some posts where guys said they used the NGC on a centerpin and love it. I didn't make much sense to me either, that's why I was wondering more about it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:59AM

Try to ask how it was set up and what guides they used and sizes
Like said the system is to tame the pig tails on spinners

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2013 10:13AM

That's why I was asking how the choke point was set up, and the last post on that thread asked a question that was not replies to so I figured I would start a new thread in hopes someone who has set up a center pin in that manner would chime in. Here is the link to the thread [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2013 10:20AM

There is no choke point for a casting or fly type reel.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 11:07AM

CP float anglers could be seeing a straighter line path to the choke guide so maybe a little better performance. This is speculation but a definite possibility. Since the line is coming off in a straight line, more or less, a guide system that maintains that with no bunching or choking in the guide train would be an improvement.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 01:22PM

Zach,
For a 13 foot rod, start with the choke guide at about 25 inches and adjust from there.

Just get a good line flow with guide sizes and spacing that keeps the line off of the rod, and that lets the line have a nice even flow and you will be in good shape.

Most good float rods have a rather slow action, so you can likely keep your running guides at about 5-7 inches apart at the tip of the rod.

Enjoy.
Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.43.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 03:51PM

Hi Zac,
I think there is room for improvement in float rod guide trains and I'm going to try a bit. Teryy sounds like he has a similar idea. I will get a new Batson blank at the Expo to go with a handcrafted centre pin. I'm going to try to keep the step path out of it and keep the direction changes to a minimum. Will load the reel up with line to capacity and get the grips and seat on the blank. I'm going to run the line off the reel to a point where I can use three reduction guides, probably high frame, and keep them in a straight line along with the first running guide. Will then run fours or fives out to the tip. That will give me a good starting point for a static test and will then adjust if necessary. Hopefully the reduction guides and first running guide will remain in a straight line. If anyone one has other ideas I would be greatful to hear them.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 05:01PM

there was a artical in one of the books about 1 to 2 ago an the man that wrote the artical did a real good job on it it help me a lot look to back issues I think
Bill

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 05:36PM

Col,
Sounds good, I was planning on using the k series fujis, I have built quite a few spinning rods with these guides and really like them. As others have stated there is no line coil to tame with a center pin so using a higher framed smaller ring guide makes sense. May be able to start out with a 10 or 12 high frame rather then a 20 regular. Guess I have put the order in and do some playing around.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 05:39PM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Zac,
> I think there is room for improvement in float rod
> guide trains and I'm going to try a bit. Teryy
> sounds like he has a similar idea. I will get a
> new Batson blank at the Expo to go with a
> handcrafted centre pin. I'm going to try to keep
> the step path out of it and keep the direction
> changes to a minimum. Will load the reel up with
> line to capacity and get the grips and seat on the
> blank. I'm going to run the line off the reel to a
> point where I can use three reduction guides,
> probably high frame, and keep them in a straight
> line along with the first running guide. Will then
> run fours or fives out to the tip. That will give
> me a good starting point for a static test and
> will then adjust if necessary. Hopefully the
> reduction guides and first running guide will
> remain in a straight line. If anyone one has other
> ideas I would be greatful to hear them.

I have been doing exactly this with my CP builds for a while now.
I run 20, 12, 8 (mid or high frames) and then depending on use either 8's 7's or 6's single foot fly guides out to the tip.
I find the line track is straighter but the biggest advantage is how the rods action stays light and crisp with the small single foot guides.

I'm building 2 more rods at this time and the lighter one of the two is going to be made with minnima guides to lighten it up even more.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.43.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 11:32PM

Hi Dave,
Good to hear someone has already tried what I was thinking and got it to work, gives me a lot more confidence. I'm going to use single foot titanium frames with SiC rings and will probably start with a high frame 16 or 20 then a 10 or 12 and an 8 or 6 then 4 or 5's to the tip. Will see how everything fits when I get the blank and the reel. Thanks for the info.

Zach you have some good back up to go that way. I'm also going to use carbon skinned grips, an aero seat, a minimum of fuss and keep it light.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.sub-174-254-160.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 06:37AM

One last question, since the whole idea of a center pin is a drag free drift, would using wire fly guides as runners create enough drag as compared to ceramic to outweigh the advantages of a slightly lighter running guide? Thanks for the input so far guys!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:44PM

Dave is on track here. Use a high frame (M) guide for the first then work on getting it to the blank and run with fly guides in a small diamiter unless it is for steel in the winter where freezing is an issue then I would not go below an #8.

Do to the way a CP can be cast I move my first guide out to around the same place I would place a fly guide. Check with the owner an see how they cast. If they cast off the side with a spin and lead it into the first guide I would move it out. These are good questions to have answered prior to starting the build.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 11:50AM

Roger, as usual you come up with the best advice. Thanks for your consistent attention to this forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster