I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL/L Blank
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 07:39PM

Hey Everyone,

I need suggestions for a 7'6" UL or L blank. I've searched mudhole, donart, getbit, and janns. No luck. Any help?

Also, if I need to extend the butt to get those last 6 inches, I'll need some help. Never done that before.

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL/L Blank
Posted by: Joel Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 08:36PM

Check out a Phenix Elixir 761. I just got one from Lance at Swampland. Might fit your needs.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 08:41PM

What are you looking to catch and how will you fish for it?

I have a 7'6" zero power hot shot blank that can cast as well as any blank. Yet it has the power down low to handle good sized fish. However the tip is so limber I wouldn't advise it for use in heavy cover. All that said it is really a lot more powerful than a UL/L but I often fish it as one. A big favorite on the flats in my waters for bonefish through smaller permit. I use it for peacock bass a lot.

If you are after freshwater panfish I'd be more inclined to look at a light power popping blank...especially if crankbaits could be part of the picture. If you are more of a jig guy I'd go with a spin/jig and extend. One of the carbon tubes could be used and they sell a kit with an aero seat along with the arbors and EVA trim pieces. A little pricey but I have used it and like it a lot.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 08:59PM

Yes, it would help if you tell us what your targeting. MHX has a nice 7'3" Ultra Light rated 2-6 lb line. Extending 3" in the butt with a scrap of blank would be no problem, even if you haven't done it before.

Terry

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 09:37PM

i'm building 2 rods for a couple of brothers who like bluegill

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:05PM

I think what Terry mentioned is a good place to start. I'd also look at fly rod blanks. Something like a 3WT fiberglass blank might be a lot of fun. I say fiberglass cuz a light/soft tip is nice but you want something durable enough to handle high sticking and lifting fish into the boat.

Again it would help to know if they are fishing crickets under bobbers or casting bettle spins.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 09:54AM

I like the St. Croix 3S70MLFX or 3S70ULF (with a 6" extension). I've built several for customers and for my personal use. I like them both!

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster