I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater spin build
Posted by: steven leslie (12.147.224.---)
Date: January 30, 2013 05:41PM

Hey gang ,I am building my first saltwater spinning rod. The butt diameter is .828 and of course it tapers from there. Should I size up the reel seat and arbor it or get fairly close and then epoxy fill.I guess a small arbor would keep the seat centered. I may have answered my own question. Also I will be using a short eva foregrip. Should I make that snug to the rod ? I know these are rookie questions but I want to do it right the first time. I am also going to use a slightly modified NGC system with recoil guides for the durability aspect. I live in Oklahoma so the rod will be travelling to the Florida panhandle for king mackeral on the Pensacola pier. It is a 9ft lami. Should be a fun build. I hope I didn't raise too many hackles with the recoil thing! Regards , Stevereno- oh yea - it's a 2 piece rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater spin build
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 06:34PM

I use RECoil guides on some builds, but I sure wouldn't test them on a rod built for kings. I would suggest considering ceramic inserts.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 06:50PM

heres a video that should answer most of your questions

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:01PM

I guess a small arbor would keep the seat centered.

Correct you want it centered on the blank either a small bit of tape around the blank or if a large space - arbor
will the reel fit the seat
Will the seat be comfortable in your hand

Your supplier can help you match things up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:09PM

The only thing I'll say (ask) about the Recoil guides is what type of durability issues are you concerned with?

Get a handle in a size that fits comfortable in your hand. You can arbor it to fit the blank. There is no reason to fill the seat tube with epoxy. Wasted weight. The best arbors for me are the Flex Coat polyurethane type. The pilot bits get you close to the proper size in seconds, and they ream easily.

Your EVA grip should be slightly smaller than the blank where you want it to sit. If you slide it on the blank, it should fit tight a few inches above where you actually want it. Apply epoxy (Rod Bond in my case) well up the blank so that you can swirl it on the inside of the grip. Then you can push it right down into place. The epoxy acts as a lubricant and the EVA will expand when pushed down to it's resting spot.

Good luck!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:24PM

Recoil guides on a saltwater rod Does not sound like a good match
I would only use them on a freshwater rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: steven leslie (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:08PM

Thanks all , hey Jay , my intention was that if the rod hit the deck it would not take out one of the guide inserts. I am also considering some of the titanium guides for the weight aspect. Either way I want single foot guides past my choker. I appreciate the feedback. Keep em coming. Regards ,Steve Leslie

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:49PM

Steven, my brother lives in Pensacola and I have caught my fair share of kingfish. IMHO the guys in Pensacola are stuck in the past with their huge old school spinning reels, fiberglass rod banks, and huge foulproof style guides. It sounds like you are moving forward but are trying to strike a middle ground.

If you want guide durability I'd stay clear of titanum. It isn't the end of the world to have to replace a guide but if you are concerned....you might look at the ring lock guides. Personally I find alconites a reasonable compromise. Yes they don't have the most durable frames, and aren't the cheapest, but they get the job done for me. On more rugged casting rods I use the virtus lites.

By all means pick a reel seat based on your hand size and comfort. Arbor/shim as needed to fit the blank. The foam arbors are great but good old masking tape is proven and drywall mesh is even better. So no lack of good choices there. Bottom line, just about any name brand reel seat and guide is going to be more than capable. The fuji ergonomic spin seat would be an ideal choice IMHO. As far as centered...it is easier with masking tape at the ends and foam arbors in the middle (to keep weight/epoxy down).

I'd spend my money on a reel that held enough line and had a great drag. Kingfish are capable of a long and fast first run but shouldn't be fished with a ton of drag. I have had smoker kings run off with 300 yards of 25# mono from 6500 baitrunners and never slow down. If I was after the big boys I'd be looking at something like a big Saragosa with 300 to 400 yards of braid and a mono top shot of 25 to 30# copolymer equal to the longest cast I could make. Just to be clear.....yes I'm saying 300 to 400 yards of 50 to 65# braid plus a 100 yards of 25 to 30# mono if I wanted a pier rod for targeting kingfish in the 60# and up range. I'd wanna let him run and run in the open water and be way too tired to even think about looking at the pilings when I get him near the pier. Ditto on them cobia....which is the fish I'd tell you to target if you like to eat what you catch.

EVA will stretch a good bit. Just follow the advice in the article in the library. Where you put the epoxy and how you hold the grip as you push it are key. I would want a fairly long foregrip on a serious kingfish rod but each to their own.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:53PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recoil guides on a saltwater rod Does not sound
> like a good match
> I would only use them on a freshwater rod

They are just fine on inshore rods, I have a few myself. I would question just how much they can handle ... kings aren't little fish AND the runs are dynamic. I would stick to something that I am positive will work long term, ceramic inserts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster