I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie: tips for getting started
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.lightspeed.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 09:52PM

I've had plenty of custom rods built for me over the years, and have a firm grasp on what I want on a rod. I understand a lot about how rods go together and a working knowledge of expoxy, clear coat, seats, etc...

What is the minumum tools I would need to produce a good rod? I can usually find the spine without too much problem, and I believe I could get the seat and guides in a nice straight line.

So the questions other questions are:
How do I do reel seats?...what type of arbors (tape foam etc...) do I need and how large does the seat need to be bored out?
Do I use Rod bond on the seat?
What do I use on cork?
What on guides?...Is the flexcoat it?
Do I need a turner to get it to dry even?...if not how often do I need to turn it by hand, and how far each time...1/4 turn, 1/2? How many coats of flex coat? How do you know if you need color preserver or not with different colors?
What brands of expoxy and finish work best?
Easiest way to get cork glued together even and sanded even? Can I accomplish this without a lathe?

Is there a good book I can read to get started?

thanks guys and sorry for all the questions...I just have so many done each year I think it's time to start wrapping these myself.

-Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie: tips for getting started
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:15PM

You might enjoy watching some of the YouTube video series on rodbuilding. Since you mentioned Flexcoat, they have a series as do some of the large retailers in the left column like Mudhole.

You can buy all your parts premade and simply assemble them or you can pick and choose some parts you might wish to make yourself, like grips from cork rings. The more you want to do yourself, the more gear you will need. But, as equipment goes, probably the first thing you will want to consider is a means to turn the rod automatically while the finish cures.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:31PM

Get Tom Kirkman's book on rod building, a must for newbies!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 01:08AM

My first few rods were done on two sets of rollers I made with grey rubber wheels I got from Lowe's and a homemade thread tensioner. My epoxy dryer was the same set of wheels and my hands. The first half hour of drying is critical. After that it's much less of a headache. My first "power" investment was a drying motor setup.

Tape for arbors and Flexcoat for finishing.

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns3.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 21, 2013 06:26AM

The online video clips are really the best way to get started. They will answer virtually all of your questions.

Have a look on the websites for Mudhole and Flexcoat, or go onto youtube and search for "Mudhole Rodbuilding"

Personally I really like using the full length foam arbors which are matched to the diameter of the reel seat.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 09:45AM

Since you are familiar with custom rods, but not the process for making them, all the suggestions above are good. There is a ton of material in print and on the internet that answers most of the general questions.

You will have specific questions on certain steps that you may not get or possibly don't have the right tools for. The best way to use the folks on this board is to narrow down your question and ask specifics here, or do a search on the board for that topic as it has likely been covered. We're all happy to help but you get a better response with more specific questions.

Go forth and wrap!

Terry

Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.51.---)
Date: January 21, 2013 11:08AM

I wouldn't start with my dream rod.
There's a learning curve with any craft.
The easiest way to get started is to buy a kit that includes epoxy, thread, finish, instructions and all the parts.
Cabela's has some Pac-Bay rod kits, on sale, that are excellent
If the kit rod isn't something that you would want, give it to someone else...The experience is what you need.
Beyond the kit, you will need masking tape, a single edge razor blade, a ruler, and some reamers.
If you are handy you can build a rod winder, if not, buy one or cut notches in a cardboard box...
I bought a rod dryer first thing, but, as has been stated, hand drying is possible.
Once you make that first rod, you will know 100% more than you do now.

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 11:35AM

If you have the opportunity, take a rod building class. I was fortunate to have the chance to take a class with a well known rod builder here in East Hampton,NY - Al Goldberg - and it was a great experience. If no formal classes around, find out if there are any builders that live in your area - that is a question you can post here. Even so, you will still have tons of questions that can be answered by reading, watching the online videos, reviewing topics previously discussed here, asking specific questions here and, most of all, by practicing, practicing, practicing. Good luck and welcome to a very addictive hobby.

Posted by: John Locke (---.dupont.com)
Date: January 21, 2013 01:37PM

Mudhole, one of the Board's sponsors llisted on the left, offers classes at multiple locations around the country. About 150 bucks gets you a 1 1/2 day class, and all the tools and supplies you need to walk away with your first spinning build. Great instructors and great peopple to work with.

x2 on Tom Kirkman's book

Can't find a friendlier or more helpful Forum than this one right here; incredible experience base to learn from.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 01:46PM

I stated with Tom's book and Dale Clemens' Advanced Custom Rod Building. I read both cover to back (Tom's is MUCH shorter). You can read either and build a rod. My suggestion? Pick up Tom's, read it, and then learn as you go.

I also suggest that your first rod not be intended to be your dream rod. Buy a cheaper blank and don't spend much on components. Some people rock it out on their first build, but many don't...I sure as heck did not! LoL Once you get a rod done you'll understand the things you read much more.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: January 21, 2013 08:48PM

First, get Tom's book. It really does answer most questions you may have. If you are still interested, then build or buy a hand wrapper. purchase some inexpensive blanks and guides. Play around with wrapping the guides and decorative wrapping if you are so inclined.
While you are doing that, check out the photo section of this site. This will do 2 things...1. give you some great ideas. 2. make you feel like a no talent chump!

Good luck!

Posted by: todd larson (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 09:45PM

all the ideas are good what i did is i went to some yard sales in my area and bought some old rods and pulled the eyelets and then practiced on the old blanks
just to see if i could make an old rod come to life it was fun and it only cost me a couple of bucks and time this craft is somthing that is adictive and fun best of all you will meet some awesome people with the addiction

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 10:09AM

Also on the photo page there are a lot of Home Made things like reamers from scrap blanks Wrappers and dryers made from different materials that you can make putting ideas from different companies equipment

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-192.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 10:16AM

Sam, you may also want to post up your location and see if there is an established builder in your area, willing to mentor you.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:19PM

You really want to use Tom Kirkman's book. Idid and I was able to build really nice rods right aff the bat. Best way to get started. I hopoe you love to learn because rod building will have you learning forever. Best thing I ever got into.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster