I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High quality lath
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 02:46PM

Saw this lath and thought some may be interested
take a look and let me know what you think

[wagnerrodss.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 03:01PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High quality lath
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2013 03:01PM

It's a Sherline. Very good lathe.

Date: January 16, 2013 03:28PM

i have never herd it mentioned here ( I don't think ) and at $800.00 it seemed a very good deal
The site is from a bamboo builder and he gets good bucks for his work so I would guess it does well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 06:57PM

Correct link- [www.wagnerrods.com] nice lathe.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2013 07:39PM

That's a nice lathe but for about 40% less you could get something like this:

[www.taigtools.com]

There are also aluminum bed extrusions to replace the standard steel one if you need a longer distance between centers. I'm considering a modified indexable headstock from them with a bore large enough to pass a rear grip through when I rebuild my wrapper in the near future.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 01:38PM

Bill,
Out of curiosity, what plans did you have for such a lathe?

The reason that I ask is that for a lot of rod building needs, it just doesn't seem to be the right lathe.

Many years ago, when I was into model making and making small engine parts, a lathe like this was perfect. But unless you are making reel seats or similar activities, I don't see where this particular lathe is the best one to use for rod building.
It is certainly a wonderful top of the line lathe for making small parts, and or machining metal parts.

Be safe

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 01:40PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 17, 2013 02:10PM

I get emails for the guy and never seen this on here and just thought some one might be interested in it
Would probably be nice for all types of wood handles Winding checks like you say small parts

Wish I had the room

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 17, 2013 02:25PM

Bill,
When I read your post, I thought you were looking for a small metal working lathe to turn some small rod parts. There really is no need to turn wood on a precision metal working lathe; if one of my students was to turn wood on my Hardinge at work, I'd probably suffer a stroke, LOL. There are some really nice woodturning mini lathes out there that make a lot more fiscal sense and are designed to work in dusty conditions. You might want to check out the forums where pen turners and pool cue makers lurk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster