I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeker for blackfish
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 10:31AM

Got a guy wants a Super Seeker blank for Black Fish and wrack fishing
Looking for suggestions he will be using up to 65 lb braid line

Any suggestions I get leary cause the way blanks are usually underrated

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeker for blackfish
Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 10:56AM

Bill,
65#'s would be a heck of a blackfish, probably doesn't exist.... but wreck fishing often/usually requires 6 - 10 oz of lead and those pesky blackfish are famous for dragging a rig into the nearest hole it can find. I expect that is why he is planning on 65# test so being a little under rated may not be an issue for the blank you decide on. In my opinion, most important is enough sensitivity to feel a soft bite at 100 - 200' depths. Please let us know what blank you decide on.

Clyde

Date: January 08, 2013 11:16AM

just what i was thinking
I was looking at the
PH-S36 8' or Being around wracks PH-SD8
I was also thinking a shorter rod would give him more advantage to pull in the fish

I had built this guy a Hercules GTS 70 M Says he wants a lighter rod he loves the one he has That should make a good Wreck rod
I was thinking another Hercules Maybe a GTS-80 ???? If he still wants an 8 ft Plus they are thinner and I would guess lighter

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 01:46PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.cgh.org)
Date: January 08, 2013 01:41PM

I built a rod from a Seeker Hercules blank GTS70H that I use for deep water NE fishing. I have used it for wreck fishing, Tile fishing, and live lining for stripers. It is extremely versitile and is a great perfoming rod.

Date: January 08, 2013 01:49PM

Mitchell
Check my added post What do you think Above

how is Billy doing I know he sells them And designed them

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 02:07PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 08:05PM

Depends what you want. I built on the heavy and have fished for tiles with 3lbs of weight no problem and also fluking in 60-90 feet of water with 6-8oz. I also have the inshore light Hercules and they fish fine for Stripers and fluke. I have 30 Daiwa Saltist conventional on them and a 40 Daiwa Saltiga on the heavy. Billy is on hiatus due to Sandy damage to his operation. Mudhole caries the blanks as well.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 09:57PM

I have built 2 super seeker rods and three super seeker hercules rods. I prefer the regular super seeker for black fish because it is a softer blank. By that i mean it gives more, softer tip section and a moderate action (but still powerful). I find the hercules blanks to be more stiff with a fast action. I feel that people miss a lot of blackfish because they use stiff rods and braid. I would argue that when a blackfish hits a crab that many times that immediate resistance caused buy a rod that doesn't give, and a line that doesn't give, causes the fish to spoke and spit the crab. I think that i have been way more productive with my super seeker ss cjbf70 and lamiglas bt 967 cut down. I think that the fish smashes the crab, doesn't feel as much resistance because the rod gives more, and then is more confident or less alerted by resistance to eat the crab. Don't get me wrong i love my hercules blanks for fluke and live lining to stripers but i don't feel they are the right choice here. 65# pound braid is overkill in my opinion for blackfish given the inherent abrasion resistance of braid. I use 40# with no problem anywhere. I would hate to have to break off ten rigs in a day with 65# pound braid, that could be a new exercise program. I would look at the SS CJBF70 or SS CJBF70H, they are heavier than the hercules, but IMHO better suited for the job.

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 10:57PM

Wow greater than $170 per blank. I would love to know what % profit they make on that blank. I wonder what the real production costs are.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 09:46AM

New NY State Blackfish record was caught a month ago by Captain Gregg of teh Ocean Eagle, using a rod that I built for him. [sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net]

It was an all graphite blank that the Hercules Inshore Lite was modeled after.

Date: January 09, 2013 09:55AM

That is one Nice Fish

got those pictures of the 30 lb line Hercules you bent over your railing
I was thinking of that
Guy loves the one I built for him but wants a lighter rod And 8'
Hope your shop rebuild is going well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 11:21AM

For dangling bait in front of fish at depth take a clue from traditional commercial fishermen. Nothing beats a hand line for sensitivity or reliability.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 01:06PM

TRue Comm Blackfihermen either roller gear or drop pots. Nobody handlines up here.

Date: January 09, 2013 01:38PM

I was thinking of the GTS 70L
Is this good for Black fish and would it or how much do you think in braid it will handle Thinking of 30 - 40 braid

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2013 09:53AM

Maryland BLACKFISH a.k.a. TAUTOG recorded over 23 # for state record There are some humongus TOG out there I've been on boats where !8 # + fish were taken my biggest around 10 # Larry

Posted by: Denny Kaneoka (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 11:00PM

Bill,,,,,We need to get together at the ICRBE as I will there with Seeker Rods...anything special you might want to see? Let me know I will bring whatever works for you....Denny dennykrb@yahoo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster