I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

painting an old blank
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 06:50PM

I bought several old rods & reels at a 2nd hand place. Mostly I was looking for pieces to make reamers.
A couple of the rods seemed to be in good shape except for the guides and tips. They also had numerous scratches. I removed the guides & tips and started looking on the internet for blank painting / repainting tips. A couple of articles talked about using Krylon spray paint for plastics because the paint remains flexable. One of the blanks I cleaned up is a one piece Ugly Stick 7-ft casting rod that I am thinking of rebuilding for a personal channel catfish rod but "doctored up" enough to show some of my rod building work to prospective clients.

I would appreciate ideas & tips on painting old casting & spinning rod blanks for rebuild, I want to to give away rebuilt rods & reels to kids without dads & fnance it from profits I receive for new custom rods.

I saw one thread on this forum about using automotive paint. I like the idea, but need advise on a spray rig for using them on rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: painting an old blank
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2013 06:56PM

I have painted rods using black Krylon Fusion, but I have not tried any other colors. I sprayed it with black (two good coats) and then Fusion clear. Let it dry for as long as you can before you start wrapping. I let mine dry 3 days.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 06:57PM

This should give you a lot of info on painting blanks
[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 08:03PM

Yup, this subject has been covered so check out the search link that Bill gave you and come back with questions. Krylon Fusion is a good product and is pretty available anywhere. The automotive choices provide more colors. You might consider just a coat of Permagloss and the scratches mostly will be covered, unless they go through the existing paint coat through the blank.

Terry

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2013 08:43PM

Another product I have used to cover scratches is Gudebrod Speedcoat/ Rod Restorer. It dries very fast though. You have to wipe it on quickly.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.19.---)
Date: January 06, 2013 11:36PM

Hi Rex,
I have had about 10 rods painted including a number of old Ugly Stiks. Got the local panel beater to do them with two pack automotive polyurethane black and clears. The black went up to where the old clear tip started. They have all held up well so far but if you check Bill's link you will find a number of other methods that will also give good results. The difference between the old and repainted is like chalk and cheese. Definitely makes them look a lot better and you can add whatever bling you choose, Mine got new grips, reelseats and guides along with a bit of bling in the butt and guidewraps.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 11:33AM

Numerous replies. Thanks for all the help. I had searched forum for these answers, but only today did I realize lthat I has limited my search to the last 30 days. Old dogs can learn new tricks, but it it just takes us longer. Again
Thanks a million

Posted by: Christopher Neil Wooten (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 03:56PM

Hello Rex, I used to paint virtually all of my blanks, until I decided that the naturally finished, clear coated carbon look was attractive. When I completely cover them, I use the Krylon Fusion as well. Hold the can out far and waste some paint for a professional looking, evenly coated job. 2 coats usually does it for me. The important part is to hit it with 0000 steel wool. (maybe 500-600 paper between the two coats) If you don't buff between and after, the finish will flow all rippled-up and ruin your endeavor quite miserably. This Fusion brand even has a nozzle that you can turn to spray out "wide" or "tall."
Another very cool tactic I use much for the best of both worlds is to "tint" the finish. Testors model airplane paint works great. It blends with finish smoothly, and you can use enough to cover the blank's characteristics (particularly a flawed looking one) or barely add a little for a slight, clear tint that can barely be picked up in sunlight. Metal flake colors give a nice effect. Be sure to put another clear coat over it, as the paint somewhat softens the finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 08:03PM

Check out DupliColor auto paints Spray cans
They are thin and cover well many nice colors
They even have an Adhesion Promoter to help with adhering to the blank
[www.duplicolor.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roland Whitney Sr (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2013 11:54PM

Hey Rex, I've found that the Krylon Fusion works really well. Just make sure you rough up the the rod with a grit pad or some light sandpaper before application. Also, once you get the color on it let it dry and harded for at least 2 days before applying the clear coat and then let that set for 2 more days before yo try to wrap anything on the rod. Patience is the key. The hardest thing I've found is having a dust free space to let it dry.
Good luck.
Roland Whitney
Hott Rodz by Roland

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster