I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Challenges to Custom Builds?
Posted by: David Hatten (---.242.227.216.ictxwavemedia.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 09:27AM

I have been reading a lot of threads about issues with decals so just wanted to gauge opinions as to what are the harder techniques to master when building custom rods? i.e. decal application, marbling, etc. Or, where have you had the most troubles in the past?

Obviously I am still very new to this hobby so I am trying to go slowly through various applications and I greatly appreciate all the help to date!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Challenges to Custom Builds?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 31, 2012 10:00AM

I think that will vary by person.
I never had an issue with decals except maybe not getting them 100 %straight or centered in the decorative wraps.
I get mine made on sheets of 120 per sheet by Decal connection (on left they are sponsors and super folks) and followed instructions, no problems at all.

Marbling is the easiest of the decorative techniques to my mind, others may battle based on the postings.
A heat source, good lighting, knowing what your choice of epoxy does during curing and with heat application and its awesome what you can create.
There is no right or wrong end result so just do it.

Feathers too are very easy.
Start with guinea feathers as a base then go over with whatever you like. Those spots contrast almost any other feather or look great on their own too. Just put straight on the blank with a trim wrap either side as a border. Go from there.
Scrap blanks are your friend. Get them from where ever its cheap(goodwill, garage sales,) and practice a few times and you will be OK.

Thread art and weaves, well lets just say i spent 8 hours this weekend on a Silver thru grey and green 3d open wrap and undid what i had done and went back to a marbled finish, its my personal challenge. You may find them simple.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 10:07AM

On wraps I just can not sit for 8 -10 whatever to do a wrap

And like said if it does not come out well cut all that time off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: December 31, 2012 10:17AM

Good thread art is the hardest by far. May not be for some of the master artists on this site, but for me it's what seperates the masters from the rest of us. I think that and some of the incredible wood/eva handle work is the difference between just a custom made rod and a high end, one off piece of art.

Marbling looks cool, but its easy compared to real artwork.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 12:02PM

For new builders, getting a consistent finish seems to be the skill that has the longest learning curve. Application style, method, working time of your finish, turning speed, or by hand, etc make for a lot of variables to ensure a consistent finish on every rod. For me personally, when I started incorporating more wood in my grips and reel seats, I felt like I was doing more artistic design, rather than just assembling parts. Good quality threadwork like diamonds, chevrons, and all the wrap variations, and especially weaving are at a whole other level as far as artistic design.

I still think as a custom builder, it's important to get the right rod for the angler. Matching the correct rod for the fishing method and angler style is an important aspect of the custom rod trade and is more important in the long run. Great art and aesthetics draws them in, the performance keeps them coming back.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 01:44PM

Great reply Terry. I'm a fairly new hobby builder, just finished my 5th rod. I think getting the finish right is the first challenge to overcome. It sounds fairly easy and straight forward, but you need to take the time to develop your technique for applying the finishand finding the finish you want to work with. It's the first impression that anyone will have of the rods you build, and first impressions count. After five rods, I'm close but not quite there yet. I do a good job but on some rods I've put on as many as four applications of finish just to get it smooth. You certainly don't need that many for any other reason. Perfect that technique on practice blanks and when you have it down, move on to all the decorative and artistic stuff.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-176.myvzw.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 02:00PM

A truly "custom" rod, composed of an aesthetically pleasing, yet functional combination of available techniques and components, can be a difficult thing to master. (And yes, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.)

A rod that has everything on it, done OK, will never look as good as a rod with a few things done great. And whereas someone may say a technique is easy, it doesn't mean it belongs on a rod, or that the finished product will look that good.

I built a spey rod several years ago, that has elk antler, custom made grips and butt cap, scrimshaw, marbling, and one of my favorite feather designs.........but I'm not overly pleased with the rod because the marbling smeared on one side.....I keep it as a reminder, now.

Long story short, doing what you do, to the best of your abilities in each technique, and knowing when enough is enough, can be a difficult aspect of successful custom rod building.

Long, boring post over.

Chris

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 02:37PM

I find the words 'Custom' and "Decal' to be very contradictory in Rod Building. Kind of like 'original' and ''print' would be with a painting, If I commisioned Mark Blabaum, Tom Kirkman, Mike Barkley, Doc Ski, Ray Adams, Billy Vivona, Mark Fisher, Terry Henson, Marco Silva, Ken Preston, Nuno Paulino, Pat Vinzant and any of another slew of great builders .... to build me a 'Custom Rod', I would very respectfully ask them to not put any decal on it and to please sign & date it by hand to the best of their ability.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 03:50PM

To answer the original question, just about anyone can learn the technical aspects of building a rod with practice, even the more challenging aspects like laying down a complex closed butt wrap or multi-layer weave.

In contrast, I think the hardest part of rodbuilding to learn is balancing the artistic aspects of rodbuilding with the technical aspects. To me, what separates the master rodbuilder's work from most of us (including my work) is their ability to integrate texture, form, space, shape, color, value, and line into a rod without compromising the technical function of the rod.

When I started learning rodbuilding, I quickly learn the basics. It took a little longer to learn more advanced techniques. After 35 years of rodbuilding, I've become a competent forger, but I've still got a long way to go before my artistry can compare to the work of many of the people listed in Steve's post above. I strive to emulate their work, while they are the people pushing the envelope for us to learn from; for their collective efforts, I wholeheartedly thank them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 04:11PM by John E Powell.

Date: December 31, 2012 03:57PM

I hear ya
I have just did two wraps over cause I thought it would have looked nice with metallic instead of the nylon Nope

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 05:09PM

Steve has a great point, and I always give my customers the option of a professionally printed label, or my hand written info. I can show samples of both and some pick the label, some pick the signature. I'm good either way. I sometimes just end up with my signature as the maker, which folks seem to like.

Terry

Date: December 31, 2012 05:39PM

What about choosing a blank
i have read so many posts where a blank listed as to a max of say 2 oz yet posts saying that blank they have used 5 - 6 or even a lot more
I can see listing a -- LITTLE -- less because - The User - will use to much Break the blank or Rod and then want a new one because that one is Defective Ya Right
But when a blank is listed as for 2 oz and posts say it will handle 6-8 oz

How are ya to chose a blank for yourself or a customer ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 06:28PM

Using a decal is no different then using a purchased guide or grip or reel seat, most don't make them either! With my penmanship, for me to write on the rod would make it look terrible.

If you look at some of our custom decals they are as creative as anyone's signature!!

Posted by: Chad Huderle (70.99.72.---)
Date: December 31, 2012 06:53PM

Phil +1!

If you're talking about just attaching the decal of the rods specs that comes from the manufacturer, that's one thing. But a LOT of time can go into creating graphics that meets the needs of the customer.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 06:58PM

I think you guys have hijacked the thread with all your decal talk.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 07:39PM

Regardless of the customization, simple done well beats complicated done poorly.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: December 31, 2012 08:02PM

I think that inscriptions are part of a custom build and it is no secret that most of us have a hard time making good looking inscriptions by hand. So maybe this aspect is THE most challenging part of custom rod building!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 01:27AM

A big challenge is to not "try" to do the things you want on a rod. Don't try to do it...do it.

A wise man once said, "Do or do not. There is no try."

Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.netrunf.cytanet.com.cy)
Date: January 01, 2013 09:48AM

I agree with Mike Adams, more often, Less is More. My advice to new rod builders would be to go ahead and try everything. Keeping in mind that if you don't experiment you never learn and it is through one's mistakes that one masters the art of rod building. Try to do a small step at a time and try to master well a certain technique before moving on to a new venture. Rod building is so very much rewarding in all one does. Weather it be marbling or butt wrapping or guide and thread colour choosing. All of it rewards the builder if it is made well. So getting to master a simple chevron wrap will be the start into mastering a complicated weave. Thing is we have to accept that it takes time, effort and stamina and disappointment is a part of the game.

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S
[phillipshotrods.wix.com]

Posted by: David Hatten (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: January 01, 2013 10:40AM

Wow, thanks for all of the excellent responses.

A Happy and Blessed New Year to Everyone.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster