I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Peel n Stick Inkjet Decals
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 09:23AM

I am looking for a little feedback about Peel n Stick VS Waterslide decals.

I have attempted a few waterslide decals on clear and white media with ''Very Little'' success. On my last project i attempted no less than 5 times with white and 2 times with clear and once i thought i had it right, once epoxied it looks like poo !

I want to try the Inkjet Peel n Stick from DC but i am curious if anyone has had trouble with the image lifting when removeing the tape once placed. Are the decals sprayed with Krylon Clear or Fixative like the waterslides? Does epoxy make inkjet ink run?

I know these are questions for Decal Connection but they are Closed for the holiday and i thought it would make for good discussion.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy New Year!

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peel n Stick Inkjet Decals
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 09:53AM

Any label printed with an inkjet will need to be coated with Krylon fixative or equivalent prior to installing. I would just plan on that step.

Terry

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 10:47AM

nothing beats waterslide with a printer capable of printing white and metallics.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 11:48AM

I am not clear about whether you are talking about purchasing finished decals from DC or or the substrate. If you mean the finished decals, they work beautifully, and never an issue when lifting the top sheet after placing on the blank. No need to top coat with anything before applying epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2012 11:49AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 01:11PM

I've never used the peel 'n stick from DC as their waterslides have always done a great job for me. On the waterslides, I've never had to redo many...and that was always after application and before epoxy. I'd never epoxy over something that wasn't to my satisfaction.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2012 04:17PM

The Peel n Sticks from Debbie are NOT done with inkjet printers, so there is no need to seal them with a fixative. Out of habit, I put on a coat of CP to seal the edges of the decal, but I would guess it's an unnecessary step. And no, I have never had any image lifting problems when removing the cover layer on the peel n stick. If that was a problem, they couldn't do business. Which brings up another point, by the way. I use inkjet waterslides all the time. I seal them with Testor's Decal Bonder, and I also put on a coat of CP after sliding them onto the rod blank. When I mess one up, it's because I didn't get it applied neatly, not because of image problems or epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 05:58PM

DCs peel and stick decals are easy to use

Put a coat of finish on let dry take the bottom clear off
Put it where ya want it i rub wit a paper towel It has a clear over the decal so any thing works Prees it on
Peel off top layer

Finish Do not really need CP Your choice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.cov.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 12:11AM

Hey Jim,

I am not sure whether you make your own decals or not so I will offer some generic information that may help you with your inquiry.

Waterslide decals are what I started with in 2003 when I returned to rod building and used them up until about two years ago when the quality of the laser type waterslide paper went in the dump bucket and the supplier had no interest in improving it. Since I make my own decals, I tested at least six different waterslide papers and none worked properly as they all fogged under the decal no matter which way they were applied, even following the directions to the letter that were established by those making waterslide at the time.

P&S decals have their own set of issues as I found out as I went searching for an alternative to waterslides. The main one is you can't touch the adhesive layer while applying them . . .for obvious reasons! So I learned to cut them longer and touch that part and then cut it off after I had attached the usable part of the decal to the blank.

Another good aspect of P&S decals is that they allow the application of epoxy immediately after applying the decal because there is no drying time . . .because there is no water! Even P&S decals require a thin coat of properly cured epoxy UNDER the decal prior to decal application even if the blank is shiney and definitely for blanks that have a matte finish.

P&S decals are much thicker relative to waterslides, .0005" for WS and .0017" for P&S. I never tried to cover WS decals with one coat of epoxy and I definitely won't try that with P&S decals. I apply whatever amount it takes to properly cover the decal which is usually two coats of ThreadMaster Hi-Build - I usually apply more than that anyway depending on what custom work has been done at the decal area.

If applied properly, a high quality P&S decal should not need any other solution to be applied onto or around itself because the decal should have a high quality adhesive layer that prevents the raising of the decal when the epoxy is applied. I don't believe P&S decals can be successfully created with an inkjet printer due to the poor adhesion of the liquid pigments. Proper decal printers are those that are dry transfer and use the opaque pigments such as the ALPS printers.

I now am using what I call a "transfer film" on my decals and have for quite some time, which I feel is equivalent to what DC supplies, and it greatly improves the application of the decal. It prevents the touching of the adhesive layer of the decal and still allows proper alignment while maintaining control of the application. Since the pigment for the decal is technically "burned" into the surface of the decal film by the heated printer head, the transfer film will not lift it off. I use a 6" piece of a rod blank to sorta "smear" the decal onto the blank making sure all areas of the decal are seated to the blank giving special attention to all of the edges - then peel away the transfer film, mix the epoxy and you are ready to go. I use a piece of rod blank to seat the decal due to the porosity of the adhesive layer and finger pressure may not be sufficient or concentrated enough to properly cause the adhesive layer to disappear.

It also doesn't hurt to have perfectly clean hands and fingers before performing any rod wrapping or decal application work as this prevents any oil and dirt transfer to the decal and surrounding area.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 11:53AM

What Charlie calls "smearing" is actually burnishing the decal before removing the top carrier layer. This is important so as to get out any possible air from under the decal and especially to seal the edges down firmly. I always put down one coat of epoxy to place the decal upon, this insures you have clean uncontaminated surface and seems to really solve the visible edge problem some encounter.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 10:22AM

Charlie, is the transfer film similar to the laser cut fish decals you can buy from many of the suppliers? Who makes the material you use? I've tried the Papilio peel and stick laser printer paper with good success.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.cov.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 11:33PM

Hey Steve,

I have not used any of the precut decals so I do not have first hand information on what is used. I have seen a few of the Bill-Mar decals that Jimi Ellis supplied but at the time did not pay attention on how they were made to be applied.

The product I use for the transfer film is made by American Biltrite, Inc. and 3M makes the decal media. I have some of the peel & stick media from Papilio I purchased several years ago when waterslides were the household word and I still have most of it left.

Charlie

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 07:24AM

Hello All,
Thanks for the Great comments.

My comments concerning the image lifting on DC peel and stick was about making my own inkjet decals on DC peel n stick media.

My issues with waterslide have been everything from the decal folding in half, smearing the image with my fingers trying to get it off the backing, the image cracking under the Krylon clear when the decal rolls up in the 5 second water bath, And the most common is the ink running once wet (after if have applied three coats of Krylon Fixative.

The above reasons are why i want to print my own PnS decals because no water involved.

I plan on Calling Debbie at DC and ordinging some media, i was just looking for user comments.

Thanks agian fo the info.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 01:42AM

when you say waterslide paper went on the crapper, so what happens to the RC modelers group? they are a bigger group compared to rod builders and are still using waterslide.
what happens to guitar logos that uses waterslides? i havgent seen them switch to peel n stick yet because the waterslide decal paper went to the crapper.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2015 04:48PM

Charlie Armontrout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I now am using what I call a "transfer film" on my
> decals and have for quite some time, which I feel
> is equivalent to what DC supplies, and it greatly
> improves the application of the decal. It prevents
> the touching of the adhesive layer of the decal
> and still allows proper alignment while
> maintaining control of the application. Since the
> pigment for the decal is technically "burned" into
> the surface of the decal film by the heated
> printer head, the transfer film will not lift it
> off. I use a 6" piece of a rod blank to sorta
> "smear" the decal onto the blank making sure all
> areas of the decal are seated to the blank giving
> special attention to all of the edges - then peel
> away the transfer film, mix the epoxy and you are
> ready to go. I use a piece of rod blank to seat
> the decal due to the porosity of the adhesive
> layer and finger pressure may not be sufficient or
> concentrated enough to properly cause the adhesive
> layer to disappear.
>
> It also doesn't hurt to have perfectly clean hands
> and fingers before performing any rod wrapping or
> decal application work as this prevents any oil
> and dirt transfer to the decal and surrounding
> area.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Charlie

Charlie,

Can you tell me what type transfers you use. I haven't been able to find any that get good reviews. Many thanks.

Posted by: Joe Pirro (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 02, 2024 09:10AM

Can you tell me what type of printer and transfers you use. I haven't been able to find any that get good reviews. Many thanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2024 10:01AM

Those trying to print their own decals on inkjet printers should be aware that most if not all inks will not last very long in the sun without changing colors, some in a major fashion.

I have been unable to identify any inkjet inks that claim UV resistance. Decal Connection products do not fade according to my experience with them for many years.

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: February 02, 2024 03:56PM

I thought inkjet on a waterslide was a great idea, but it didn't take long to find out the ink on inkjets are not very good quality, and also that printers don't print white.

Date: February 02, 2024 08:15PM

Hi Charlie
I’m looking to print my own decals. Any suggestion on a printer and what media film you use? That would be very helpful. I do a lot of custom logos for people and it’s been costing me a big chunk to have them done and shipped. I thought about trying to print my own. Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you, Joe Pirro.

Date: February 02, 2024 10:58PM

Could I get the name of the transfer film. I would like to try and print my own.
Thanks Joe Pirro

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 03, 2024 07:49AM

I used to use Papilio media, and it was very good. I cannot find them now, maybe out of business. But do a search for decal media on Amazon and you'll find plenty of options. Unless you know something I don't, be prepared for big color changes when exposed to even reasonable amounts of UV/sunlight.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster