I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metalic thread
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 07:43AM

Want to use metalic thread as the base and lay a feather on top of it.I understand the metalic thread breaks down quickly. why? would 2 coats of cp help that problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metalic thread
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2012 09:28AM

what do you mean breaking down? just use the metallic. it will be fine. if you have concerns paint the area

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 11:24AM

Not sure either what you mean by breaking down. I've used metallics as a base for feather inlays successfully for a long time with no issues.

If you check out my rod business facebook page: www.facebook.com/Oregonrods My cover photo shows a feather inlay over Sulky copper metallic.

Terry

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 11:32AM

And, just in case you don't want to mess with Facebook, loaded it up on the photo site: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Terry

Posted by: Jeff Frei (12.213.112.---)
Date: December 26, 2012 03:57PM

I suspect that Maryann is referring to fading. Yes it fades. Silver and gold not as much as darker colors. Blue metalic wraps on one of my rods is silver on top and only a year and a half old. the threads were cp'd

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 04:08PM

Jeff is correct I didnt know the right terminology.Fading is the word is was looking for. Nice job Terry!!!!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 05:11PM

I don't think CP does anything for metallic...or for general UV fading of nylon thread. I don't usually use it so I am not sure about the second part.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2012 09:13AM

By adding a feather inlay, you will be utilizing CP to hold the feather in palce so I would just roll with it and give the wrap a complete coating to avoid any patchy fading. CP will never hurt you or your wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster