I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stipper guide
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 01:06PM

how do you know if stripper guide is to close are to far away?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stipper guide
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 01:29PM

Test casting and see if the line hits the blank
Also try different sizes to see if they make any difference in casting
What type of rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 01:50PM

I will be an ultri lighgt with a 1500 series real. I guess is how do i tell if it is to close are to far
i cant here very good so wont be able to here line slap.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 02:01PM

You should be able to feel the line slap. I don't hear that well either but I can feel it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 03:15PM

I hope you read the article in the Library Page on setting up spin guides ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.19.---)
Date: December 24, 2012 05:47PM

Hi paul,
With a 1500 reel you won't need a very big stripper, appoximately half the diameter of the spool in millimeters. You can go smaller with a higher frame and that will also allow you to be closer if required. Read the NGC/27X methods in the library and you will get a good set up.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 24, 2012 07:34PM

I have studied the articles in the library but am having a hard time visualizing how its done. On my next build i will be using microwave guides.
With 1500 size reel on 7' 6 '' phenix rod. I guess i will wait until i have all the stuff then do it while i read.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.19.---)
Date: December 24, 2012 08:14PM

Hi Paul,
The articles requires the line to be set up so that it makes two straight lines, no step pathes. 27 times the spool diameter is where the choker guide goes. A bench edge will give you a straight line. Take the spool off the reel and line the shaft up with the table edge. It should point straight to the outer side of the choker. The reduction guides should be set where the outside of the frame is on the bench edge. Choose a size or frame height that will meet that criterea. Test cast to make sure you haven't got line slap and you should be good to go. Rapid choke and microwaves are different again but good set ups using all methods will yield similar results in respect to distance and accuracy.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 24, 2012 08:51PM

Thank you for all your help. Dont know what i would do without this forum.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2012 12:40AM

Paul,
With that setup, I would place the stripper at 17-25 inches depending on the size reel.

If in doubt - put it at 21 and you will have a perfect black jack every time.

But actually 21 inches is a pretty good all round distance for a stripper guide on 6-8 foot rods.

The main thing that you want, as was posted earlier, is to have the stripper far enough away so that the line does not hit the reel when casting.
But not so far that there is enough slack in the line that the line hits the reel during the retreive.

So - line hit on casting - too close.
Line hit on retreive - too far - or wrong size stripper.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster