I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Minimas
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 23, 2012 11:19AM

There have been some interesting posts on guides and grooving wear. Have any of you had any grooving issues ( on spin, casting or fly rods) with Pca Bay Minimas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Minimas
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 11:46AM

I haven't noticed any problems to date.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 12:06PM

Steve, i have had them out there in all conditions for years, salt or fresh makes no difference. Mono or braid no grooving at all and my customers love them. I even use them on the few fly rods i build per year.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 03:44PM

I have replaced quite a few grooved tips on Berkley and Fenwick rods that had SS-304 guides on them. They are very similar to the Minimas. Only the tips on said rods were grooverd.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 04:54PM

Hi,

No problems with guides or tip tops.

I use them on many rods and have 22 rods on party boats for 3-4 years. No problems.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 05:55PM

Many many pac bay minima guided rods and tips with 0 reports of any grooving at all.
Roger

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2012 09:58PM

I'm sure I read a post somewhere from Todd Vivian, who said he uses them all the time with no problems. If I'm wrong about that, I'll retract, but I'm sure. I have 4 rods that I use in the Louisiana Saltmarsh a couple times a year, that' not enough fishing for a reasonable critique, but certainly I've had no grooving or corrosion with mine.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 23, 2012 10:27PM

I have recently replaced tips and the first 2 guides on several Fenwick rods from different customers. I cannot say for sure if they were Minimas but they looked like Minimas 3s. These rods were bass rods with a lot of braid line used with the rods.

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: December 24, 2012 10:23AM

Hi all,

Around 90% of the rods I rebuild are done with Minima 4s onto beach (surf) rods here in the UK although I have never seen 1 grooved at all the "rumour" of it has been enough to make people opt for a different tip, I haven't used them long enough personally to see any truth in it,
I have had 0 complaints regarding "grooving".

Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 10:59AM

Scott

here are replacement tops for Fenwick and other rods factory Guess the ones that came with them were not good ??
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2012 11:00AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.w90-3.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 24, 2012 11:14AM

All my personnal rods have Minima 4, no issue, I like their low weight.
I wish they made the style F in size 3 (and 4) without this ugly wide foot (a pain to have well packed thread on small diameter tips).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster