I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Apply finish at 200 rpm/slip chuck
Posted by: Craig Strong (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 11:56PM

Jake at Lamiglas gave three of us from my r&d department a tour of the factory.

The piece that intrigued me the most was the lathes they use for wrapping and finish. It appeared that they had a soft collet and stretchy fitting that went over the butt of the rod. The fitting, once on the rod butt pushed in place inside the collet. That was interesting but more so for mass production than for my rod building.

What I saw that I want was a lathe that can be stopped and turned by hand by grabbing the rod. The operator would be applying finish at ~200rpm (I knew this was done but it was great to see how easy they made it look), grab the blank to stop it suddenly, turn it back and forth to fill under the guide feet and apply finish on the guide side of the wrap then let go to allow it to spin again, proceed to the next wrap.

I saw the same technique of manually turning the blank by grabbing it on the lathe used for the wraps.

What's the slip mechanism? Is this standard on wrapping lathes built for rodbuilding?

I use a sewing machine lathe built by a rod builder who retired (to fish, of course). Reversible, variable speed, solid 3 jaw chuck. I like it. If I want to manually turn the blank I have to grab the chuck to do so. That's easy if I'm working near the butt of the rod. An option for low torque high speed would be handy though.

Looking forward to your input.

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apply finish at 200 rpm/slip chuck
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:03AM

[www.mudhole.com]

By the way, the chuck is very easy to make.
Punch a 1/2 inch hole in a piece of 1/16th thick neoprene.
Then, stretch the neoprene over the end of a 2 inch pvc cap, that has a 1/4 inch hole bored into the center of the cap. After stretching the neoprene over the pipe cap - holding the hole over the center of the chuck, use a plastic tie wrap to hold the neoprene secure.
This works best with about 4 or 5 hands doing the job.

The cost of the chuck made this way will be about $1.25.

Here is an example of a commercial slip clutch:
[www.rinomechanical.com]

and:

[ondrivesus.com]

and

[www.sdp-si.com]

Roger

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 01:11AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Craig Strong (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:48AM

Thanks, Roger.

Great links.

Four or five hands sounds about right. How many tries to get the hole centered in the pvc cap?

Should I use anything over the butt to keep the spinning neoprene safe from hardware and/or cork safe from the neoprene?

Is it possible to get enough tension to get a tight wrap or is this a finish tool only?

Craig

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 05:04AM

Craig,
Sure you can use this chuck to wrap rods with no issue at all.
Since the neoprene can leave a mark on the rod butt of lighter colored butts, it is not a bad idea to put a wrap of blue (low tack) masking tape around the butt of the rod where it enters the chuck.

Many many rods have been dried by many many builders using this style chuck.

I have found that by using a 1/2 inch hole in the neoprene, that it stretches out to about 5/8th when it is sitting on the end of the chuck stretched out.
Then, the typical lighter rod butt is about 1 inch in diameter. so, the neoprene stretches about 3/8th of an inch which gives plenty of tension to hold the rod in place.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster