I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st Rod Project
Posted by: Patrick Praeger (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2003 10:41PM

I bought Tom Kirkman's book and have studied this board for Q&A that might help me get started on my 1st rod, I am soon going to attempt. My question is about the guides, I was advised by a very knowledgable rod maker (thanks Andy) to go with the fuji alconite new concept guides. Rod components so far: Spinning Rod

Blank: St. Croix 2S70HF2 - 2 piece 7ft. 10-20# test line, lure wt. is 1/2oz - 1 1/2oz

Handle will be :overall length is 16 1/2", has a 10" rear grip and 2 1/2 fore grip

I have been looking on the net and haven't seen a # 40 guide in the new concept, I understand this is the new concept smaller guide longer frames. If anybody could help me with the size and how many guides to use it would be greatly appreciated. I believe the concept is use smaller guides and maybe the last 2-3 towards the tip will be the same size example :
30 20 16 10 8 6 6. If anybody knows a good combination of sizes please let me know.

Also do I need to inform the company I order the handle from the butt diameter of the blank to fit the handle or are they all small and you ream them out?
Thanks I will forever be in your debt.
Patrick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st Rod Project
Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2003 10:47PM

There is a certain way to set up the New Concept system whether you use the new concept guides or not [although they're quite good]. There was info in a back issue of RodMaker, maybe more than one. The thing is that the rod and reel will tell you the correct sizes and where to put them. I'll let those better versed in the system than myself chip in here.

I think your rear handle might be a tad too long. Now if you're mounting the reel seat so that the fixed hood is to the rear than maybe not. But if the fixed hood is to the front, then I suspect you could shorten that rear grip to 9 inches. I'm just going by what I have here and what's ended up being comfortable for me.

You will need to do so fitting of the components. Tom's book shows how. Good luck to you on this first project.

Posted by: Patrick Praeger (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2003 10:55PM

Thanks Aurthur, I neglected to mention I am using it for wade fishing in the bay's in South Tx. (Rockport Tx.) and the long handle helps when you lock on to a good sized red, I lock it into my side or hip to get a little leverage , it works for me .
Thanks for the advice Patrick

Posted by: Ron Wood (---.znet.net)
Date: February 19, 2003 12:40AM

Patrick,
I am working on my first spinning rod with the new concept system.
I found that Mudhole, thier link is on the left, has the fuji concept system guide charts. You can get an idea as a starting point by checking out the guide and placement reccomendations from these charts. Also do a search on the subject, it has been discussed recently, to find more information about locating the choke guide.
It has been a learning experience for me.
Enjoy and have fun

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2003 01:06AM

Patrick,

For you to gain any benefit from the 'new concept' guide spacing, you have to locate the choke point on the rod blank. This is where the centerline of the reel spool intersects the rod blank.

ALL of the guides from that point out to the tip should be the smallest size you are going to use. They will ALL be the same size. How many you will need will depend totally on where on your particualr blank, with your particular reel, the choke point is located.

The guides between the reel face and the choke point will be sized based solely on line path. You use the size/height of guide that allows the line to maintain as straight a path from the reel to the choke guide as possible.

Since there are lots of 'variables' here, your best bet would be to order one of each size of guide from 30 down to 8 (your 'second smallest' guide from the 'set' you listed), then at least four or five of the 6s. You won't have any real idea of which of the first 'descending size' guides you will actually use until your handle assembly is installed and the reel put on so you can find the choke point. Also, you will not know how many of the smallest guides you'll need until you get this done as well.

After you determine which guides 'fit' your rod, you can return the unused guides to the supplier you purchased them from (or just keep them around for the next rod, of course).

If you see a 'chart', think of it as only a 'generic, works okay but it's not the best' kind of thing. They don't know how long your handle is, which reel you are using, etc.. It only takes a few minutes to do it correctly, and the results will be worth it.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster