I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New CT Lathe?
Posted by: Dave Lockman (---.goblinshare.com)
Date: November 27, 2012 08:24PM

I was reading that the old Clemens lathe will soon be back on the market. Any news on price? Also that the Renzetti was the copy, not the Clemens. So the original will be back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New CT Lathe?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2012 08:43PM

The original Clemens Lathe was designed and built by Andy Renzetti. Clemens later had Andy's lathe built by a different machinist. The idea that Andy, a guy who spent his life designing and building machinery, would have to copy something that somebody who had never designed nor built any tooling or machinery (before nor since), is just another time worn myth. There is a reason that Andy continues to build his original lathe today free of any legal troubles - it was and remains his original design.

I might as well let a cat out of the bag - the Renzetti lathe is undergoing a major and very clever make-over. By the time December rolls around, a new Renzetti Master Rod Lathe will be making its debut and this one does not require you to remove either the thread carriage or rod supports to get one to pass the other. And, perhaps best of all, the older lathes can be easily retrofit to the new design for a price that is not at all hard to swallow. Keep your eyes peeled for the next issue of RodMaker. The Renzetti advertisement has all the details plus information on the retrofit kit. It's a beautiful unit and another original Renzetti design.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:44PM

By the way, a Renzetti Master Rod Lathe will again be the grand door prize at the RodMaker Magazine Reception for subscribers on the Friday evening prior to the opening of the 2013 Expo.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2012 08:52PM

Man O' Man, Tom that all sounds good!! I am going to have to try and make your reception. !! I like the idea of the retrofit. I have two Clemens/Renzetti lathes and just ordered a lathe bed extention from them.

Date: November 27, 2012 09:41PM

I sort of figured the retrofit kit could be a hot seller when released but had greatly overestimated its cost. In talking with Andy, it turns out the price is far less than I would have imagined and the cost of the new lathe itself is not much changed from what the original lathe sells for now.

I've been working with one for about a month now and while I didn't suspect the ability to move the carriage by the rod supports would be that much of a big deal, in use it turns out to be more than a little sweet. It was about the only thing on the machine that could have been improved and now it has been.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2012 10:33PM

Bob McKAmey had a Spyder lathe on display at the Charlotte show back in 2006, it had a unique bed which I allowed the carriage to pass teh supports without removing anything. TEH headstock on that thing was gigantic, and the price was too high for it to take off. At least that's wha tI remember.

I'm probably going to need a bunch of new things for my lathe, everything is frozen on it due to the saltwater. IT really @#$%& sinc eI took such great care of it, waxing/polishing and even powder coating section of it. Frustrating!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 10:34PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: November 28, 2012 08:11AM

Great. Bought mine not too long ago and now find out that it's about to become obsolete. Guess I can upgrade.

Date: November 28, 2012 08:15AM

I wouldn't say that the older lathes are suddenly going to be obsolete - they'll still work just as good tomorrow as they did yesterday. The new model simply adds an additional level of convenience.

Yes, your current lathe can be retrofitted if you wish to go that route.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 08:27AM

Billy

maybe take it apart and soak in CLR or some thing similar

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 08:53AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 08:57AM

I'm in for the upgrade - 'cause the thread carriage / upright bypass is a pain. I hope Andy brings a few with him to the expo.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 09:17AM

Billy -
You're spot on! The lathe that Bob McKamey showed in Charlotte was HOT. It did everything that you would want in a lathe and was solidly built. I wanted one & pestered Bob about it before he closed down. As I recall the man that was responsible for the design and manufacture fell ill and not many were ever sold. That is a real shame because it incorporated lots of changes. The cost at the time was high - but not so high when compared to a fully tricked out Renzetti.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 11:50AM

I saw that Lathe in his Shop in Tenn. It caught my eye as soon as I walked in his Store. It was the base idea in building my own using Alum Extrusions from 1080. Never could master building the under carriage for thread

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 11:54AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Jerry Grimes (---.surfwords.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 04:26PM

One interesting fact is that if you have one of the older Clemens lathes and look on the bottom of the rod supports you will probably find a shiny gold sticker there that says "Renzetti". Just something I noticed on the one I got way back in '85.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: November 28, 2012 05:10PM

What are they gonna do with all the old track? Any chance on a sale???

Date: November 28, 2012 06:43PM

I can't speak on their behalf for any such plans. I suspect we'll have to wait and see what happens once the new lathe is introduced. I do expect the new unit to be available at the Expo, if not sooner.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: November 28, 2012 06:56PM

Thanks. I need to decide if I should buy another piece of standard track or just upgrade the entire length to whatever the new thing is. I assume all my accessories and headstock will fit the new system? Anything else to buy?

Date: November 28, 2012 07:04PM

Everything will transfer over with the exception of the thread carriage bed. I believe the retrofit kit will include a totally new bed (track as you call it), the joining and mounting pieces, and a new thread carriage. The thread spool fixture will fit on the new carriage and you're off to the races. It's a very clever upgrade.

As I said, and even though I'm the one that suggested this improvement to Andy (last year's Expo), I didn't think it would really be that big of a deal. However, after using it I have to say it makes his original unit seem aggravating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster