I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Time
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 09:07PM

This week, I glued up 8 cork rod handles on an assortment of rod blanks ranging from UL spin to a 10' salmon mooching rod. I was just checking out the price of cork rings on the different web-sites listed here, and discovered how much it would cost me today to purchase the cork rings. To say the least, I was amazed!!!! I put over $500. 00 in cork on these 8 rods. That isn't the only difference. Today, the only cork rings that I could find were only available with a hole dia. of 1/4". When I bought my cork years ago I could get any size from 1/4" to 5/8" hole dia. at the same price for the best quality cork available. Today that same quality cost $2.50 per ring. I paid 20 cents a ring for mine and just had to chose the hole dia. that best fit the rod and then did minimal reaming and fitting to make the rings fit the blank. I am sure it is the same with other components and I am anxious to check them all out. The rings on the 10' rod alone today would be $90.00 Glad I bought about 5,000 rings of the best quality when I did. Still have about 2,000 left in various sizes from 1&1/4" up to 1 &3/4" OD. Guess I will have to start charging more so that I can keep buying supplies!! :>)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 10:09PM

Today's cork is NOT what was avaiable years ago. The $2.50-3.00 stuff isn't what you might think. I suggest cherishing the rings you have, they are likely irreplaceable.

Date: November 25, 2012 10:30PM

Jim, I am!! Thanking my lucky stars I bought so much back then. When kept high and dry & out of the sun, cork does not deteriorate..Seems it just appreciates with age. :>)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 08:11AM

Guess your rod prices - just went up LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:04AM

I'll give ya $.30 a ring...<g>
steve

Date: November 26, 2012 11:33AM

Steven, big spender are ya? :>)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:43AM

Randy
I too bought a lot of cork 15+ years ago. Now I find it difficult to spend the kind of money that vendors are asking - but if you want to use cork or your customers want it then you simply have to pay the price and pass along the costs. A lot of things have happened that have driven up the cost of cork especially the high quality cork rings - smaller acreage; higher labor costs; new uses for cork (shoes, flooring). To keep costs down at least a little I've been inserting burl cork as decorative rings; rubberized (chopped/glued) cork for the parts of the rod that take the most abuse like adjacent to reel seats, butt ends and first ring on fore grips. For the people who simply want highest quality cork the cost has to be passed on - even buying in bulk today the costs are three times or more than what they were.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 01:18PM

In addtion to Ken's comments - cost is one of the primary reasons for "Split Grips"
You can call it the latest fad, or the next best thing to peanut butter, but it all comes back to cost.

A typical 8 inch butt grip and 4 inch fore grip would take 32 rings. At $3 per ring, for a great handle, that is $96.

But for the same split grip that uses 5 rings behind the reel seat, and two rings in front of the butt, that is only 7 rings, or for the same $3 = $21. So, that is a price savings on materials of $75.

This cost savings in materials is way past trivial.

Be safe
Roger

Date: November 26, 2012 01:34PM

I aggree the cost savings is not trivial, I just don't care for the look of the split grips. Especially if the rod handle is going in and out of a rod holder. Looks like the blank might suffer a lot of wear and tear. Haven't tried it yet, but am a little leary of that.

Date: November 26, 2012 03:04PM

Going through all my rod building stuff, I just found 75 2" dia. extra high quality cork rings. There is nary a pinhole in these, nearly perfect, I can't imagine what some of these would cost in todays market. If I remember correctly, I used the other 25 out of the bag on a butt grip for a large dia. surf rod about 30 years ago. fun going through all these components. :>)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 03:41PM

I kinda doubt you can even find them any more. I looked & the largest I have are 1.5" and no where near the quality you describe.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 03:54PM

That is probably why eva and the like are getting more popular and the designs that can be made are a LOT CHEAPER then cork

For that rod holder - a slick butt is the best Does not look as good as a custom handle but a lot more durable

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 04:38PM

So what are you guys using instead? I'm more of a salt water fisherman so I have always used EVA. I do like cork on my lighter rods. And I couldn't imagine anything else on a fly rod.

On my lighter spinning rods I have been using the aero seat with a graphite tube handle. Seems like a reasonable compromise. Curious to know what some of you are doing these days. Maybe most feel like the cork is what it is and there is little choice???

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 26, 2012 05:02PM

I have used cork, EVA, Hypalon, wood, and some of the early (I mean EARLY like 1985) graphite tubes for handles. These early tubes required that you use electrical tape to attach the reel feet. Made a number of them and still have one for my own use. I love cork however, and most of my customers do as well. I probably make 8 cork handled Salmon and Steelhead rods to every 2 EVA handled rods. Where the handle is going to take a lot of abuse, then EVA or Hypalon is the answer. I never put anything but cork on fly rods, other that wood inserts and trim.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2012 05:21PM

Put a foam-core, carbon-skinned grip on a fly rod and you'll wonder why anyone would put a cork grip on one. The difference in feel, sensitivity and reduction in casting effort is truly amazing.

Date: November 26, 2012 05:39PM

Tom i will have to try one. Like I have said, I haven't made a rod for quite a few years due to multiple surgeries to my hand. I am anxious to learn and use all the new materials out there. :>)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 05:55PM

I build only fly rods and agree with Tom, Carbon fiber fly grips are really gaining popularity! Customers balk at first, but after handling and a casting demonstration, they are an easy sell.

Roger, are you using 3/8" thick rings? My math says 12" of grips ( 8+4) only takes 24 rings.

Posted by: Joaquim Loureiro (---.netvisao.pt)
Date: November 26, 2012 06:07PM

hello guys,

of course good quality cork have some cost, because quality of cork bark isn't the same like 15 or 20 years ago.
today is dificult produce a good disc Top Flor or Flor quality, because is needed many quantity of cork for retire a few discs, this is the reason for this high prices.

i think there are some wholesalers can sell at good price, only depends how much each wholesaler wants win in a cork.

Joaquim Loureiro
cork4us.com

Date: November 26, 2012 06:16PM

Joquim, why do you only produce rings with a 1/4" hole diameter?

Posted by: Joaquim Loureiro (---.netvisao.pt)
Date: November 26, 2012 06:25PM

i produce rings from 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 diameter or others diameters by request

of course the most used size is 1-1/4

Joaquim Loureiro
cork4us.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster