I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat help
Posted by: kelly chow (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 23, 2012 07:01PM

hello everybody. i need to remove the front hood of an aluminum reel seat to machine the slot bigger in order for the reel foot to fit. what would the best way to go about doing this? the reel seat also has a graphite insert so i'm not sure how much i can heat it up to soften the epoxy, would a heat gun to hot enough ?
thank you in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat help
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 08:46PM

Heat is probably your best option, and a heat gun will work, however wouldn't it be easier to make the reel foot smaller?

Date: November 24, 2012 01:05PM

the rod i'm building is not mine, and the person will be using either a spinning reel or a centerpin and i don't think he wants to reduce the size of the reel foot because he uses the reels on other rods as well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 10:01AM

reducing the foot size will be easier

Ask him Tell him what you want to do

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 25, 2012 12:14PM

if i reduce the size of the reel foot will that effect the way it would fit on other rods, it seems he wants to use the reels on other rods as well.

Date: November 25, 2012 01:59PM

The best i could say is to have the reels and the rods he wants to use them on
Fit figure what you have to do to make it fit on the one you want to change the Hood on

It is probable a little of taking material off the sides or on top of the feet

not having them in hand that is all i can say

When you say -- does not fit -- How -How far does the feet go into the hoods
A little filing is all you may need ?????

Or get another seat that fits

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 02:17PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: November 25, 2012 09:23PM

Is the reel foot a separate piece to the reel? It may be easier to get a second foot and adjust it to fit.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: November 25, 2012 10:02PM

the opening is not wide enough for the reel foot to fit, but i have taken the hood off the reel seat so it not a simple matter of taking it to the shop and machining the slot wider. i would like to thank everybody for your input and suggestions. i heated the top of the reel seat until i could see the expoy get a glazed look to it and place the hood in a bench vice and gave it a gentle tug, came off no problem.

Date: November 26, 2012 08:32AM

Should you do something to the other hood ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 26, 2012 08:09PM

i will be machining both hoods the rear one is already loose so that is the easy part, the hardest part was how to remove the front hood. i was surprised at how little epoxy was used to hold the reel seat together. has anyone ever have the hood and the body of the seat come apart?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster