I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote - New High Build Formula Review
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2012 10:22PM

I applied the new ProKote High Build on a spinning rod today and was very pleased with it. I had to warm the bottles a little due to the temp near my bench, which may have decreased the amount of time I had to work with it. Overall, it was almost completely bubble free after mixing (motorized mixer) and went on very nice. It is super clear and was dry enough to stop the dryer in less than 3 hours. I put one coat on and will put another on tomorrow. If I had put it on thicker I think I could have made due with one coat, but I like to do a thin coat and then a thick one. I am very happy with it so far. This is just info in case someone else was thinking of trying it and wanted some info on how it performed.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote - New High Build Formula Review
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2012 11:07PM

David, what were you using before, and do you like this new one better?

Date: November 17, 2012 11:18PM

I was using TM High Build and also sometimes a mix of TM High build and Prokote original. I definitely like the ProKote High build better than TM so far. I will post again on this thread tomorrow after my final coat. The bubble release is excellent. The only thing is the working time. I am not fast at putting on finish, so I had to heat it a little to finish the rod. I had to cover a snake skin in between the split grip and a label in front of winding check, plus all the guides.
I am fond of high build finishes verses light and ProKote seems to be exactly what I was looking for.
I like it better than all the ones I have tried as of yet.
Also, I did not mix 3ml as recommended. I only mixed 1ml of each. I just can't see wasting all that finish when you don't have to.
I have tried Flex Coat, Diamond II, Threadmaster and Liquiglass before I tried the new ProKote High Build.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2012 09:37AM

Will be easier if you coated the guides and then mixed another and coated the skin and label Gives more time to concentrate and get away with one coat

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 18, 2012 03:47PM

Took Bill's advice and mixed 2 batches. Came out very nice, leveled easy, dried fast. I will try and find the camera and take a pic or two.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: November 18, 2012 10:41PM

I uploaded a few pics of what the finish looks like. The pictures could have been better, but on the guide wrap you can see it fairly well. Sorry for the rookie pics.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2012 08:54AM

Two coats usually does it real nice and level

Since that stuff sets quicker I keep my place cooler so the finish takes longer to set up and cure This way it levels better
Careful and don't take it off too soon if still soft it may sag Unless dry to the touch

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster