I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

painting blank, not happy with results
Posted by: Mike Anliker (---.scansafe.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 03:53PM

A recently painted a rod with Krylon fusion, and coated over the paint with Minwax clear spray polyurethane. The finished product turned out beautifully, but I am not totally happy with the results, as the paint seems to chip VERY easily. I have put 2 coats of the spray poly on, is that not enough?

Is there a different product that I should be using other than the Minwax? I've never used perma gloss, but would this be an applicable situation for it? I just want a hard clear finish that I can apply myself, doesn't require special equipment and will not chip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: painting blank, not happy with results
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:05PM

is that polyurethane exterior or interior. try using a the krylon clear coat

Date: November 05, 2012 04:08PM

It's interior/exterior, got it from a rod building supplier

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:09PM

My personal opinion is that if you cant shoot true automotive base / clear, dont paint. I have yet to find any spray bomb paints that hold up very well.

If you are dead set on using spray paint run to the auto store and get some of the more expensive SEMS or equivilant.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:09PM

Did you scuff the blank with a 3M pad prior to painting?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: November 05, 2012 04:12PM

I did not scuff the blank first, I'm guessing I should have? Anybody have thoughts on the perma gloss?

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:13PM

I use bumper paint from the local auto paint supply store it is made to flex. Also, I use a product called Bulldog. It helps the paint to adhere to the blank.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:14PM

Hi Mike,
Permagloss is a very hard and flexible coating but may react with the paint so you'd need to test it first. It's not that difficult to use as I got good results with my first go although it wasn't on a blank. It's moisture curing and unless you live where the humidity is very high you have a bit of time just need to pick a good day where the humidity isn't high.There was an article in a recent Rodmaker mag showing how to make a tool to coat blanks with the stuff, good article. I get my blanks coated with two part polyurethane and it's pretty hard but will still chip if they get banged about.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:18PM

I was just going to ask
I sand the blank with wet 400 - 500 paper
Then when dry COMPLETELY spray DupliColor Auto spray on two coats usually covers Three if needed Check for scratches The sanding helps so the paint adheres to the blank
Then let sit 2 - 3 days to fully dry

After dry ONE good coat of permagloss - Be Very Fast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: November 05, 2012 04:46PM

Permagloss is the way to go. Do it the way Bill says. Let the paint dry for 2 or 3 days or more if possible. One coat of permagloss and be fast. If you're slow or go back you'll ruin the paint. The permagloss softens the paint within seconds of going on. If you don't touch it the paint and permagloss will set up and it will look good.

Posted by: Jeff Frei (12.213.112.---)
Date: November 05, 2012 05:56PM

the fusion can says recoat in 24 hours or after 7 days. "Chip resistant after 7 days." this stuff needs to cure. I've had Fusion wrinkle up on two rods because I didn't wait the whole 7 days before clear coating with Helmsman. I don't use Fusion much anymore. My "go to" baitcaster rod that I beat the lake half to death with is painted with Rustoleum charcoal metalic and Helmsman, yet to show a chip or crack.

Jeff Frei
a hobbiest in
Westfield, Wisconsin

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 06:16PM

Ya got to read and understand the Directions - Well

Also play with it to make sure on scrap never use the first time

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 07, 2012 08:39AM

Ok, so apparently I just didn't give it enough time to dry and cure, because I tried to scratch the paint, and I could not. I guess I just jumped the gun a little too soon. Thanks for all of the input though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster