I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good Buy
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 01:14AM

I was in need of some more inexpensive disposable brushes that I use for finish application.
I try to get them for 10 cents or less per brush.

I just happened to swing by the local Michael's Craft store. When I asked the manager about the disposable brushes that he might have available - toured the store looking at the brushes.

Finally found the perfect brushes in the children's craft department. They were selling 25 brushes, for $1.80. This comes out to 7 cents each.

They are basically the identical brush that Flex Coat brushes that they sell.

I simply prefer to use one brush per rod, per coat of finish. That way, I never clean any brushes, and never trouble myself with any sort of brush cleaners or cleaning materials.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Buy
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 02, 2012 10:31AM

Yeah I also purchase my brushes from hobby stores. My store of choice is Hobby Lobby

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 06:17PM

Thanks Roger. I'll pick some up next time I'm by a Michael's.

Michael's and Hobby Lobby also each offer a 40% off one item coupon, or a 20% off your entire order coupon each week in the Sunday paper. Printable coupons are also available on the net. A nice savings for rodbuilding and lure making supplies - I just wish a person didn't have to search through all the "decoratey" stuff to find what you want.

Dan

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 07:17PM

I have always used the best quality brushes that I could find and afford. Preferably red sable!! To me, the cheaper the brush the more likely hairs or fibers will pull out and end up stuck in the finish. Never had this problem with a quality brush, and they are easy to clean. Cheap in my opinion ends in disaster!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 09:13AM

Randolph I couldn't agree with you more. Until you use a good quality hair brush you never realized how much better your finish will look. Cleanup is just a matter of wiping off the excess finish off of your brush with a napkin and just dropping it in your brush cleaner until the next time you use it.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (165.166.42.---)
Date: November 06, 2012 06:51PM

I don't use hair brushes so don't worry about the hair falling out anyway.

In my opinion, the brush isn't what makes a good finish anyway. I guarantee I could pour the finish from the cup onto a wrap and end up with the same result as I would by applying it with the highest quality brush.

It's what you do after the finish is on the wrap that makes the difference...again, in my opinion.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2012 04:47PM

Randolph

Those brushes do not leave fibers in them used them for years

BUT At .07 cents compared to .18 a brush Do the math
Dame good deal
I wash mine and have never had a problem
With the price of blanks - guides - seats and all
ya cut any coroners ya can Good business

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster