I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What are some good blanks for a soft plastics rod
Posted by: jared faulkner (---.pulau.cx)
Date: October 30, 2012 03:58AM

Hey Guys,
I have bitten the bullet and decided to get into the swing of rod building. After looking at the various websites Some easy to read(Mudhole) and some not so (Matagi). I am obsessed with customising a good blank for targeting coral trout and other reef dwellers. I have been looing at high end models around the 7ft mark, Gloomis, St Croix, but that is where i get stuck. Seeing as i am new to this i dont know what are the good blanks out there also what components to match it with. What i am looking for i know exactly what i want and that is.1 a rod around the 7ft mark, prefereble 2 piece, but 1 piece would be ok. int he weight range of 6-10kg, with a fast or very fast taper. Light enough that i could spend all day fishing with soft plastics that range from 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz and not get tired. I will be fishing in around 20-50meters of water with little current. I have a large selection of rods and one that i love is a light Gloomis bronze back, 6-10lb fast taper soft plastic rod. It is so tippy, but i have suprised myself with landing some decent sized fish on it due to its good back bone. I am not too sure about where to put the reel seat or even what type of reel seat to use once again this is all new to me so with the setups out there can someone with a bit of wisdom please help a new guy out.
Cheers
Jared

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are some good blanks for a soft plastics rod
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 30, 2012 06:35AM

Hi Jared,
Have a look at the high modulus MHX blanks from Mudhole. I built a plastic rod on a HM-MHX-843 which is very nice for plastics but a bit light on for what you want. Throws very well and nice with a fish on the other end but rated around 1/2 oz.
Give Ross van Enckevort at The Rodworks, sponsor on left, a call or email and he will put you onto something. The MHX blanks are very good value for money. The Rodworks are the Australian distributor for Mudhole blanks so there is a lot to choose from.
Just had a look at The Rodworks website and there isn't a lot with the high modulus that will throw those weights, 1 oz is the max but Ross will tell you if they will handle a bit more.
For a casting rod the reelseat position is a bit of a compromise. You need some length in the rear grip for casting ability but that may not be the best spot for fighting a fish. When you get everything tape the reel seat on and put the reel on and do some "casting" and "fish fighting" with it and you will find the best position for your personal style. Twelve inches works for me and you can also mount the reelseat uplocking to give you another inch or so. Ross has also got a lot of reelseats and he will put you onto something that suits. You can go from the very nice Alps seats (see the post above) which are fairly expensive in alumium down to cheaper graphite seats, heaps to choose from.
Good luck on the build and the guys here will help you out when needed.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 07:06AM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.234.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 30, 2012 07:04AM

Yep mate a call to Ross is in order he is a great bloke and will steer you in the right direction. I like the high mod mhx aswell great plastics rod.

Cheers
Mark
Old Bar NSW
Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 30, 2012 02:33PM

The CTS blanks are also worth a look, pricey but nice. They have 80% off shipping for October, $10 anywhere in the world.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Pierre SOUPLET (---.w2-2.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 10, 2012 05:37PM

Hi Jared,
my favorite rod for plastics is one that I built with a NFC MB739-1 IM - 7'3 - 1 piece - 14/30 lb - 3/8-2 oz. - butt-tip 0.580-6 - Fast action.
This blank is a phone!

Posted by: Pierre SOUPLET (---.w2-2.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 10, 2012 05:37PM

Hi Jared,
my favorite rod for plastics is one that I built with a NFC MB739-1 IM - 7'3 - 1 piece - 14/30 lb - 3/8-2 oz. - butt-tip 0.580-6 - Fast action.
This blank is a phone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster