I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides for walleye slip bobber rod
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:47AM

what is your standard size for running guides & tiptop for a slip bobber rod? 6-8lb mono spinning rod

thanks
Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides for walleye slip bobber rod
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:59AM

I use Minama #6 passes without issue though you might be able to go a little smaller.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 12:49PM

Jay,

If you pull your bobber stops tight and trim them very closely, they will go through 3mm ceramic guides. They'll go through 4s without too much issue when trimmed well, but if I were designing a rod dedicated to fishing slip floats, I would probably use 5mm or 6mm guides to be sure the stops passed smoothly all of the time. Tip top would be a 4mm with 4mm running guides and 6mm with 5mm or 6mm running guides.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 03:16PM

To be sure
use the Minima 6s
Unless you want to buy several sizes and test them out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Schollmeier (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 06:35PM

I fish slip bobber quite a bit, I don't have a dedicated rod for it. If I did, I'd go with 5-6mm ceramics. Most of my rods have minimas, and I love 'em but they seem "catchy" when passing even very well trimmed bobber stops. Even with 6 or 7mm guides. Not to the point of obstructing the cast - just enough to be a bit annoying. Unless you use braid, I know a few guys who use braid with bobbers and bobber stops, with braid and minimas are a nightmare of sliding knots, catching knots, and tangled lines.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (199.230.124.---)
Date: October 27, 2012 10:15PM

JAy, bring a SLip Bobber rig tomrorow, I have a coupl eof rods with small guides on them. FUji size 4's and Microwave size 5's. THat's thebest way to answer the question. See you in the AM

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 02:50AM

Jay,
A lot of my clients use slip bobber rods at night when fishing for walleye.
As a result, non of them want to be worried about having to thread a line through a tiny guide, or worrying at all about a knot haning up on a guide.
So, generally speaking I never go smaller than a size 7 running guide. For some of the folks who fish late in the year and have to worry about ice on the lines and guides as well, they specifically ask for guides and tip that are no smaller than a size 8.

For any of the ice rods that we make, and are going to be used in the open and not in a heated shanty, we never go with anything smaller than a size 8 guide and or tip.

With a bobber rod, where much of the rods time is spent in a rod holder, there is very little to be gained by going to an ultra small guide. So, the size 6,7, and 8 guides are pretty much the norm for the dedicated and die hard slip bobber walleye fisher folks.

As Mr. Kirkman has pointed out on numerous occasions, use the guide type and size that is appropriate for the particular rod being used, and appropriate for the particular application of the rod; as well as the client using the rod and any special needs for he/her during a typical period of fishing.

Roger

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 28, 2012 05:50AM

Jay,
I agree with what Roger said. Keep in mind that some anglers will use he neoprene bobber stops which means #8s for the smallest guides and tip top. When using leeches anglers often use a very small swivel near the hook as the leech when retrieved through the water will cause severe line twist. #8s are needed to easliy pass that swivel. Buzz

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 10:50PM

great advice from all and good food for thought. The rod will be used for day time spring fishing but it helps to think about the other possible scenarios.

thanks

Posted by: Kristopher Byers (---.natnow.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 03:45AM

I recently built a 9'6" steelhead bobber rod for a customer up here in the NW and the BKTAG guides run bobber stops through them very smoothly. I used the BKTAG5.5 guides for that rod. After I had all the guides on I cast it and the stop flowed through very smooth both ways.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 10:52AM

This seems backwards, but give it try to see for yourself. Don't trim your bobber stops, or leave at least a 1/4 " of the tag ends or so. The trimmed tag acts as a stub to catch on the guide, longer tag ends actually help the stop go over the guide. The longer tags wind right into your reel with no problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster